exhaust options question

blobthebuilder

Ok i bought my new legacy yesterday and the exhaust is very rotten so with that in mind i wondered what my options are...

The fella that sold me the car told me the boxter engine (2L) was same as fitted to impreza but without the turbo and when i start it and start to pull away i can here the warble but then it goes so can an exhaust be fitted to give it the unmistakable impreza note?

thanks in advance

You'd have to have a look under the car see if your exhaust takes the same route, if it fitted you'd prob have to get another piece made up to accomodate the shorter length on one side.

One advantage to to equal length is more horsepower, not much but the gasses have a smoother exit

Sorry fella been busy as today,

I don't think the unequal one would fit as it goes around the front of the car then pokes out around the o/s wheel. I'll post a pic up of what I mean in a bit.

Whats above the brace on the right of the pic ?

They look fairly equal to me , although I don't know much about na scoobs tbo .

The single turbo set up takes a much different route .

From Passenger side head , round the front , under crank pulley, meets drivers side head then to upipe/ turbo .

So passenger side exhaust gasses have further to travel and therfore hit drivers side gasses causing the burble .

Equal length headers on turbo'd scoobs have a longer "scroll" on the drivers side to equal the lengths .

I'd imagine someone would or could make unequal headers for na scoobs but , I'm unsure as to who I'm afraid , maybe one of the na boys might know though

well he is in states but says he has sold to dozens of uk/irish customers,my car does make a burble at moment on idle and 1st/2nd gear but disapears after that BUT the exhaust is leaking in 2 place and 1 has been badly patched so im using as reason to change  system

There's a heatsheild on the bit that runs along the front and thats in three bits where as the stainless one isnt. And the up pipe is missing but as sav says that will be on the left of the pic.

Youra looks like the cat would need replacing as it's at an angle where as the turbo cars is more of a straight route.

Borla make n/a headders from the states but they aren't cheap.

If you could get a better pic of the front underside of your car may be easier to see if you could make the unequal length sit there then get somone to fabricate another bit to connect the headders to the cat ?

Maybe send tlag a message on here he has more knowledge on legacies than I

Haha too much sun and ouzo = bad news, took me ages to write the last post. U can't fathom out which way round I should be looking at the eBay pic. The more I look at it it looks like it should but icant work out the angled bit to the cat. Has it been reversed in the image ?

• 1 month later...

ok i got new exhaust system on from manifold back, but backbox pipe sits low and there is no note like i had before with rotten pipe so i fitted jap universal exhaust wich wouldnt fit up properly into recess because metal plate behind bumper and had a lovely note but way way to loud so my question is would it be safe to cut some of the metal so it sits up a bit better and any way to quiten it down a little