coilover pro's & cons

They'll bolt straight up only difference is you don't have the extra cushioning of the normal rubber mounts. Great for handling not so good for comfort.

That was one of the deciding factors in me going for normal struts and tops

• Like 1

Sorry if you get 2001 onwards coil overs you will need to swap the top mounts. But the ones in the eBay link are for gc8 imprezas so have the same tops as ours :-D

I wonder if spares can be bought if the coil overs go wrong lol

Haha I'm just as confused as you now ! Although I was looking at the bc coilovers the part numbers appear to be the same between foz and impreza so who knows, all I know is the new tops I've bought fit the classic impreza as well as ours.

I'll take pics of the new tops and the ones that come off tomorrow

• Like 1

Haha I'm just as confused as you now ! Although I was looking at the bc coilovers the part numbers appear to be the same between foz and impreza so who knows, all I know is the new tops I've bought fit the classic impreza as well as ours.

I'll take pics of the new tops and the ones that come off tomorrow

And what set up are you using lol

Not that expensive if compared to price of original set of struts & springs .

KYB Ultra SR & 4 custom springcoil springs come to about £500

KyB Excel G can shave about £100 off that if you lucky sourcing them & using KYB standard spec k-flex springs is about £80 cheaper than custom from springcoil.

Most of the cheap coilovers are junk & will squirting oil & clonking like the monkey metal they are in 12 to 24 months.

BC coilovers are better than a lot & can be serviced at sensible cost, main issue is choosing spring rates wisely as 10F-6R kg/mm spring rates would be fecking dangerous on average uk roads & weather. For a vehicle like the forester & road use it hard recommend coil overs even if set up well with sensible spring rates.

For bang-2-buck SF fozzy road performance Ultra SR & some custom slightly stiffer & perhaps lowered springs (40mm max probably on standard struts) from springcoil would perform & last well.

Front tophats are same on SF & SG, rear are not as changed top of spring to pigtail .

Indeed you can use early impreza struts but ideally want custom springs to make most of it & get fozzy sit right so cost is never as good as first assume plus you got gamble of old shocks & any fitting hassle.

Job jobbed then Mt Stanton !?

at 18 odd years old tophats done well, find fronts worse than rears generally, had a few rears that been just too clean & solid to warrant new but front normally bit sloppy even when look half decent.

Yes indeed feels like a new car. The fronts were shot and it was basically the springs doing all the work. We ended up having to re use the rubber spring seats as I didn't realise I needed any but they were all still intact and in good condition after a clean. She goes stops and turns so much better :-D

I'll give it a week for it all to bed in and then get a geo alignment done.

The Pedders lowering is 50mm I believe which is a very practical balance on lowering.

difference between 15-20 year old shocks & springs & new is night & day. even non leaking shocks will have worn/broken valves.

At least you happy with the result & no hassle with fitting.

I would of thought if you want much lower than this you looking at impreza struts/custom springs or likes of BC coilovers & custom spring rates (5kg/mmFront 4kg/mmRear perhaps or little less)

A lot of practicality will be lost with coil overs but if wise on spring rates & use it as road car only with no dirt track use it may work well for you.

• Like 1