Spark plug changing - how easy and cost?

Floyd9t8

seems a little high that, it can be a bit fiddly and we have had members wind the socket out into the side of the wheel well swear profusely and have to wind them back in.

I dont know how good with a spanner you are but it is a straight forward job

I'd agree woth jay there, what's that three hours labour ? Removing the airbox on the offside and the washer bottle on the nearside gives you a lot better access. Small drive extension on your socket should give you enough length to reach :-D

• 3 months later...

May be different but there is a video on YouTube that shows you, seems okay to do. Remove air filter box and washbox, pick up a spark plug socket for 4 quid of eBay, seems like it's unplug unscrew old, screw in new ones and plug back the wires. That reminds me is there an order to do this or does it only matter on the cap for this?

No order to go by but I'll say it again, they're a real pain in the !Removed! to change I hate doing them. I know Martin and a few others on here who are pretty good with the engines lift the engine to change. The Back passenger side is by far the worst one, I've thrown some tools around with some profanities just because of that last one :(

I'd ask the garage (whichever you plan to use) how they are going to replace them and check that they are experienced with Subaru's. As some garages don't have a clue about Subaru engines. Before I got my legacy, the previous owner had it serviced and to change the plugs, they disconnected the whole engine and dropped it out of the bottom of the engine bay. The garage didn't put the engine back in straight and left the steering column hanging in the engine bay.

It's not difficult, just very cramped and getting acces with tools is what makes it hard.

I have managed to do it before on my classic. It's getting the ratchet in between the heads and the wheel arch that makes it hard.

Also you have to be careful when unplugging and reconnecting the coil packs, as they can get damaged if they are wonky and you try to force them.

If you have the ratchet ring type spanner it should be easier as its a lot thinner than a traditional ratchet.

mkohrsd52l_5_JEslMPyokg.jpg

I still hate them but I do suffer with short patience :) I'd recommend you having ago and agree better plugs is better than standard. And as Pete said be very careful with the coil packs. I'm pretty sure you will soon learn to hate them too :D 

• 4 weeks later...