Impreza wrx's

aucky

Hi guys am thinking its time for another new car.A was thinking about a impreza hatchback sti but when i was on autotrader i seen a few wrx's model.after a bit of research i found they suppose to be the same bhp as the sti but cheaper to run.also read they quicker off the line then a sti due to the gearing.has anyone on here got 1 and if the bhp is allready increaded are they at the max or could you map them to get more,their 270bhp.

I looked at the differences when going for my hatch. We have a few hatch owners so pipe up if I am wrong here chaps / chapesses'. Bottom line both are great cars. Sti can be taken to 330 ish bhp quite easily. It also bas has 6 speed box bigger hubs for better heat dissapation away from brakes and bearings. Hubs are also alloy. Dont think the wrx has dccd? Probably some other things style wise quad pipe over single exit...wings etc

Think am going to save bit more and get a sti.your right the wrx and wrx-s dont have dccd or 6 speed box and from pictures av seen off the interiors the sti is way better,and better to mod bhp wise.

I'd save for an STI

From my research...

WRX=225bhp, 255 for the S

STI=300bhp, 325 for the aptly named 330S(?)

STI= nicer looking with the arches, much nicer seats and trim. DCCD and 6 speed

insurance was £9 a year difference between the WRX and STI330S!

You lose MPG...think the combined is something like 30 for WRX and 28 for STI and 25 for 330S...but you might want to double check those figures with Google [emoji1][emoji4]

PS from the research I did I felt it was unsafe to mod...far too many stories of engines eating themselves...so my conclusion was to get an unmodded 330s and then pressure Subaru to pay up if it went pop

• Like 2

Mpg is a giggle for the sti 330 we managed 28 -30 using vpower and selecting sport mode ( thanks to Salsa's research) but if you drive in a more spirited manner in sport # it will drop to 18-19 which of course is offset by the grin ☺

• Like 1

PS from the research I did I felt it was unsafe to mod...far too many stories of engines eating themselves...so my conclusion was to get an unmodded 330s and then pressure Subaru to pay up if it went pop

well.....I said conclusion.....

I think my final conclusion is to buy a 10 year old Porsche 911 as it is similar if not a bit cheaper to run! (expecting to be flamed for that :D  :lol: ) . I'm doing around 10k miles a year so I'm getting my Scoob serviced every 6 months. The 911 has a 2 year/20k service interval so less flaffing around. The mpg is pretty similar, service costs would roughly average out to be the same I think, at my age insurance is pretty similar and it would keep it's value....just a thought nothing decided yet :D   

Dependant on the model you will certainly retain value - I think the oil burners are the desirable items - Was sat next to a chap on a flight couple of weeks back who owned a 10 year old 911 had done a recent engine rebuild due to some liner issues they suffer with (oil starvation on the one pot if I remember - sound familiar...) anyhow it cost him 8k to get done properly and the chap who did the work sorted the oil ways to ensure it wont happen again - the car itself is now apparently way better than before and will last the chap for decades now - regular maintenance and changing bushes etc as they wear out.

So not a bad choice if that is your thing - the mantle you will bear from the image perspective is similar I suppose to owning an Impreza and being likened to a chav.

Dependant on the model you will certainly retain value - I think the oil burners are the desirable items - Was sat next to a chap on a flight couple of weeks back who owned a 10 year old 911 had done a recent engine rebuild due to some liner issues they suffer with (oil starvation on the one pot if I remember - sound familiar...) anyhow it cost him 8k to get done properly and the chap who did the work sorted the oil ways to ensure it wont happen again - the car itself is now apparently way better than before and will last the chap for decades now - regular maintenance and changing bushes etc as they wear out.

So not a bad choice if that is your thing - the mantle you will bear from the image perspective is similar I suppose to owning an Impreza and being likened to a chav.

Interesting. I've been reading up a bit recently...air cooled are the real porsche fan boy cars (stopped building those in the 90's). The 996 was the first water-cooled and also has ugly Boxster lights but you can get them from £15k-£20k for a good one. I'd love a 997 water-cooled 3.8. 355bhp (interestingly similar or same 0-60 to a 330s, 4.6)  and you can get them for between £20-25k. Yes, engines failures with them too lol Apparently the 3.6 (the Porsche WRX ;) ) was more robust and doesn't fail  so may settle for one of those.  

Funny enough I'm not a big Porsche fan and never seen the appeal. I just thought I still need a sub 6 sec car but would prefer a bit less road noise and more comfort (love my WRX but doing 100 miles a day with all the wind noise is getting to me).  The 911 seems incredibly good value for money....and it will be easier on my piles and make up for my little nob :wacko:   :lol:  

D\.

Funny enough I was sitting watching the telly I'm my Adidas lounge around track pants...decided I'd check my oil, water before doing a 200 mile drive the next day...neighbour saw me with the hood up and came over to say I was looking more chavvy by the day :rolleyes:   :angry:  :huh:  :D

• Like 1

I've seen a fair few standard STI hatches for that price. Not seen a Cossie for that....saw one for £38k!

1 on autotrader last week 24k their 1 on now for 27k ,still out my price range though [emoji22]

Funny enough I was sitting watching the telly I'm my Adidas lounge around track pants...decided I'd check my oil, water before doing a 200 mile drive the next day...neighbour saw me with the hood up and came over to say I was looking more chavvy by the day :rolleyes:   :angry:  :huh:  :D

that has made me smile - very funny :D