Winter tyres

Not just snow though work best at 10deg and below if what you read is right, I've got the space to store which ever set isn't on the car. Ive juat bought a set of identical wheels as mine for sixty quid with some budget tyres on so I'm thinkng I'll use existing set with winter rubber on then swap over and get some decent summer tyres on in the spring

so, I've been having a look winter tyres and as I do about 60-65miles per day I thought it would be a good idea to get some winter tyres. After all it is my safety lol.

These are all 215 45 17's btw.

These Nokian tyres look pretty decent, made in Finland too so i'd expect they are good in the winter weather.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=26829416.110.28448&sowigan=CW&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=C-C-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-245918

Or these Nankang ones, which are a bit cheaper.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=26829416.110.28448&sowigan=CW&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=E-C-71-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-191294

Or these Hankook ones, I've got two of these on the rears already, but need replacing really. The car did have four, but the previous owner put two !Removed! budgets on the front as he sold it to me.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=26829416.110.28448&sowigan=CW&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=F-C-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-261704

Or these Kumho ones

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=26829416.110.28448&sowigan=CW&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=C-E-74-3&details=Ordern&typ=R-156569

falkens

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=26829416.110.28448&sowigan=CW&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&search_tool=standard&Label=F-C-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-246899

The nokian d3 came 2nd in the auto express winter test I'd be inclined to go with the nokian ons you've selected there mate. I was gonna get them but the misses has put the stops on getting another set and work is getting in the way of picking up the other rims so it looks like I'm going to have to scrap tge winter tyre idea and get some all season ones

The nokian d3 came 2nd in the auto express winter test I'd be inclined to go with the nokian ons you've selected there mate. I was gonna get them but the misses has put the stops on getting another set and work is getting in the way of picking up the other rims so it looks like I'm going to have to scrap tge winter tyre idea and get some all season ones

oh sweet mate, seems like the WR A3 did well too.

"The Nokian WR A3 winter tyre wins the 2012 winter tyre test by the German car magazine “Auto Bild”, earning the top rating “exemplary”. “Auto Bild” praises the Nokian WR A3: “Strengths: exemplary handling qualities on snowy, wet and dry surfaces, stable directional control and precise steering response, shortest wet and dry braking distances, low fuel consumption”.

• 5 months later...

Nokian wr a3's and our 4wd and you'll be overtaking snow ploughs :-) joking apart I've run continental and Michelin winters for the past 3 years on both FWD Audi A6 and RWD Honda S2000 and they make a massive difference. Don't need to have snow, once you're below 7 degrees and the summer rubber hardens up the winters remain soft and grip is still good..... Was very useful in the S2000 :-) not got any yet for the STi but very likely to, as per Tom's findings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

THREAD REVIVAL....

ok folks - I'm buying a set of winters this year - any feedback or recommendations from those who have used them recently would be good please! :2guns:

Contenders so far are:

Goodyear Ultragrip

Michelin Alpin

Pirelli Sottero

continental

Nokian

Same (east anglia) I used mine to do deliveries before and only got stuck behind other people and once going up a steepish driveway that levelled off quickly and so beached the car. After digging out the snow from where the middle of the car was sitting on was able to drive away

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Michelin Alpin - fantastic but expensive

Nokians - after last year I'm impressed with and much cheaper than Michelin. With 4 wheel drive I've got more than enough grip/stopping with them on :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got some all weather nokian this time last year really good in wet and that bit of snow we had kept them on all summer as haven't had time to refurbish my summer wheels with the new parada spec on, on amazing tyre I think for the limited snow we get good all weather tyres are the way to go work in low Temps good if we have a mild winter and good in the heat..these nokians have a bit of a bobbly tread pattern so the odd bit of snow we had they were amazing that's just my opinion as  I don't think summer tyres are great with the really wet winters we have been having😎

Nokian WR A4

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S

Michelin alpin A4

For performance car doing high miles in wet & cold climates more than ice/snow I would be Nokian wr a4 or michelin alpin a4 .

you'll get your moneys worth & if store sensibly during summer will last few years.

For lesser performance subarus some good options from Hankook kumho & even star performer winter-suv are good (tested those on sf forester over winter) for low cost option .

• Like 2