Plasti dip

quit

got a different sprayer now! this one seems better and less noisy 

i started mixing my own dip now, i got it premixed before but it gets ££ 

hopefully if we get a warm sunday like last weekend my roof will go matte black as my first big test area 

I've just bought a can of matt black plastidip, plan to change the look of the car for the summer.

f58bedb4-ae5a-44e3-9f64-2403bddcf545_400

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?Plastidip_Aerosol_Spray&stage=3&colour=Black,Blue,Clear,Yellow,White,Red,Green,Orange,Brown,Gun_Metal_Grey,Flex_Blue,Bright_Aluminum&pid=PDL-0009

i only have one can to do my front grill, and will test it on a wheel then buy a cple of cans to finsih of the wheels.

I've gone plastidip so I can peel it off when I want to change it again, much cheaper than respraying bits and pieces. 

Great idea that Pete been meaning to sort something out with my wheels but they aren't top priority, let us know how it goes with the can, what kind of prep is involved with the process ?

no idea, I was going to wash them, mask the tyre and spray away!!

From what Ive read there's no special prep unless the surface is pourous.

4 cans will do a set of 17" wheels, they will try sell you "pre dip" no need for it really and no primer is needed 

a good wash is all you need then let them dry and they have to be bone dry!!!! water sits under it and bubbles like rust 

you could get some panel wipe on them 

Save masking up get some notecards/playing cards / business cards , then place them around the rim

You need a very light mist coat first! about 40-50% coverage 

then build up to a second and third coat 

aim for your third coat to just about cover the existing colour, Then you can go full on !

you can add pearl or glossifier over the top

I'm hoping in summer to get my wheels done by the same lad doing my morettes. I didn't dear ask a price at the same time :D I'm still looking at getting a genuine STI spoiler. I only want one just so I can get some Perrin Stiffies for it  :lol: "Stiffies"  :lol: This Hawkeye isn't going to happen at this rate also got some bigger plans for my car PC which is going to cost.  :blink:

Oh getting mine fully stripped and re prepped and sprayed :( I have a slight flat spot because of the !Removed! roads we have around here that the council seem to think that spraying magical white paint around no longer damages cars. And a bit of bubbling showing so need's to be done now. I wouldn't have bothered too much but genuine UK300 alloy's not easy to replace so worth the cost I think.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah good point, 23 quid delivered for pre mixed black

i was gonna get it pure and mix it myself, but i forgot to clean my mixing paddle after i plastered the bathroom lol 

• 1 month later...

My car has only done about 200 miles with it on in 3 months

But it sits in the sun and it's ok

Depends what colour you go for and how many layers ! Some of the brighter colours and pearls need a top up

what a pain doing a whole car is!

I went for a white base coat, Thinking that would give me a nice start but jesus its hard to cover!! it was so blue its like glowing in the dark!!

got another 5.5 litres to spray on till its finished and tidy some edges up. Then i can start removing over spray etc

was thinking yellow 

then thinking oh the rozzers will pull me all the time as it will say BLUE SUBARU and its bright yellow, couldnt be dealing with the hassle 

SO i went blue 

Hopefully get it finished tomorrow afternoon