Andy Forrest & Ecutek messages

Emailed the above yesterday regarding replacing my centre pipe on the WRX-S.

I'm not interested in power at the mo. Just want a bit more noise. My question was, could I fit a straight through centre (sticking at 2.5") basically just no resonator, and a Cosworth panel filter, without having to remap. Mine is already 252bhp as standard, so a map wouldn't really gain me anything, and for the cost including the initial licence fee. It's just not worth it.

Ecutek say that I wouldn't get much if any power increase (I know this already) but stated that "the boost can go up by changing the centre pipe which is unsafe"

Andy said this may be the case but as I still have the factory down pipe and cat in place I would probably be fine.

Just to be cheeky I replied to Ecutek, (as on their website they claim responsibility for the Prodrive map on the WRX-S) my question was, because the Wrx-s in effect has an Ecutek map from standard would I not have to pay the initial licence fee? Lol

Nice try but basically no!

Anyone know whether an sti centre pipe would be a better option?

Pretty sure they're a direct fitment, just the resonator is a lot smaller on the sti, think it's shaped more like a cat than the huge resonator box on mine.

Different for us mate, we only have the one 02 sensor upstream, new age have two one up and one down, plus the pre cat in up pipe. was told if you change the filter or decat you'll be fine but if you do Both then you get problems with afr and can run into some serious problems

• Like 1

Ecutek say that I wouldn't get much if any power increase (I know this already) but stated that "the boost can go up by changing the centre pipe which is unsafe"

struggling to understand how the boost may go up unless the existing pipe is stopping the turbo spooling up to its proper operating rpm by some sort of back pressure??

with a correctly operating wastegate and boost level set by the ECU increased boost by changing this section of pipe should not be an issue, sounds like someone covering themselves

• Like 1

Different for us mate, we only have the one 02 sensor upstream, new age have two one up and one down, plus the pre cat in up pipe. was told if you change the filter or decat you'll be fine but if you do Both then you get problems with afr and can run into some serious problems

Im glad we have only one sensor.And for future reference if your lambda does go again the lexus is200 share the same sensor same connection.I stumbled across this when building my mates lexus is200 turbo engine up and I tried it.

Quite surprised you think you won't make more with a filter and remap

Problem is mine is the wrx-s which comes standard remapped to 251bhp (from the standard wrx 226) with prodrive back box included. So the remap may not give any more than the map already? Ecutek quote 260ish so that'd be 9bhp for me.

I suppose it was still mapped with emissions in mind, I may get 15-20bhp from a filter & map.

The older prodrives were 260 odd bhp I think, and the hatches get equal length headers which are meant to give more power than unequal, but I'm beginning to doubt this fact and you also lose the classic boxer sound with the equal length headers too!

Problem is mine is the wrx-s which comes standard remapped to 251bhp (from the standard wrx 226) with prodrive back box included. So the remap may not give any more than the map already? Ecutek quote 260ish so that'd be 9bhp for me.

I suppose it was still mapped with emissions in mind, I may get 15-20bhp from a filter & map.

The WRX-S will still only have a tweaked map that was the same on all the mass produced WRX-S's ( One that needs to cope with all conditions and types of fuel ).  So I'd expect a remap specific to your car to bring out the best in it. 

I don't have any experience of remapping a WRX-S...it's just I can't believe you can't make more BHP than my 2ltr car :)

Also, not sure how safe it is to tinker with a 2.5 either with all the stories I've read of standard cars giving up the ghost after 30k miles  :unsure: