Diy fuel pump change

Right thinking of doing this myself, how hard can it be ? My main questions are do I have to drain the tank completely ? Along with disconnecting the Battery should I pull the relays out ?

Lift the rear bench out and then open inspection hatch remove old pump switch out reverse the process and prime ?

No need to drain the tank just run it a bit low (under a quarter)

Disconnect the Battery earth

Have plenty of rags ready as when you disconnect the fuel lines they'll be full of pressurised fuel .

clean the area around the access hole before removing the hatch lid (so !Removed! don't drop in the tank).

Carefully withdraw the complete fuel pump /gauge sender assembly and cover the hatch opening to stop fumes coming out and debris falling in.

Fix the new pump to the sender assembly and once re fitted turn the ignition on and off a couple of times to prime the pump .

Here's a few pics from when I fitted my last one

post-1399-141932670422_thumb.jpg

post-1399-141932675557_thumb.jpg

post-1399-14193267901_thumb.jpg

Yeah the rcm pump came with a sock and was just plug n play but the last walbro I bought had a much shorter sock (so I used the cars original one) and I had to splice the wires in the tank as the wires in the walbro box only had a plug one end .

As for rcm give them a bell before lunch and the pump will probably be delivered tomorrow .

Great service [emoji41]

Upselling I like your style ! What's the difference between my ic and the sti one, apart from the pipework ?

I have a feeling if I were to buy them he'd sit gathering dust for ages before I got mapped.

Any idea what my 380's will max out at ?

I was told the sti tmic flowed better but whether thats just because of the ally hard pipe and bigger bore y pipe or whether the core is different I don't know .

Tbh I fitted it because i managed to "zorro" the fins on my uk turbo's tmic with the jet wash[emoji36] [emoji35] [emoji23] and I knew I could fit it without mapping .

I've seen a graph for 305 hp with the 380cc but he'd upped the fuel pressure a lot and they were maxed out .

Realistically about 290 hp on the 380's and 340 hp on the 440's as most mappers don't like upping the pressure on standard fuel rails , in case the pressure drops and you lean out or something leaks

I know how you feel the bloke at the hand carwash attacked the scoop with the lance,spent all night re aligning the fins.

I'll leave the injectors thanks as I'm old looking to get 260ish out of mine, I just want it running better, may send the 380's off for a clean when I've a spare week. I'm tempted by the cooler as I've got a set of silicone hoses on order, weather they'll actually arrive is another matter as I've been waiting since October I'll email again after Christmas see what's going on.

Makes sence not to have the injectors if you're not aiming to break the 300 hp barrier atm [emoji6]

You'll be well chuffed with the difference a remap makes anyways [emoji41]

Has your foz got 4 pots ?

If not you'd be probably better off saving your cash for some better anchors to reign in the extra ponies [emoji4]

No only two pots but I've been told by a member over on the forester oc that the foz has bigger pistons than the wrx so up to 260 should be ok, he's since upgraded to 4's and says that the difference & effectiveness isn't that much. I'd have to go bigger wheels and what not

I'd imagine so as they're probably a bit heavier than a impreza .

the impreza sti's had 4 pots from 97 onwards and (I think) all turbo impreza's from 98 onwards .

Quality pads and discs make a fair difference too but soon after my first road map (from 212 hp to 265hp )

I'd had a few [emoji90] [emoji158] moment's with the impreza 2 pots and happy shopper discs n pads the car came with [emoji6]

Never got chance to speak to rcm before Christmas, some tuners say putting an uprated pump on the earlier cars messes with the pressure and to fit a regulator, personally I think this is a bit overkill, did you have any problems with yours just runing uprated pump or did the fpr go on at the same time ?

Also the reckon it's not worth it for cars running under 300bhp, saying that the pump is probably the one that came out the factory.

stants when I fitted the walbro to the uk I was running the standard regulator without any issues .

when I fitted the forged engine and it was run in I fitted bigger injectors and a adjustable fpr the day before the remap .

Probably not much point fitting the adjustable fpr in my case as neither jgm or clive attowe like to up the fuel pressure when mapping anyways (so I run at standard pressure atm )

I disconnected the Battery earth when fitting my pump as I was unsure if it was a switched earth working the in tank sender and didn't want to chance getting a spark over the open fuel tank .

As for releasing the pressure on the fuel lines ...

I did it tank end in the pic hence the sunglasses and rags in the pic [emoji6] but did it filter end when fitting the rcm one (mainly to keep the stench of petrol out of the boot )

I was asked if I'd fitted a uprated pump by Duncan, jgm and attowe , I think they like to know that it's not a 20 yr old pump , just in case it fails and you lean off under bigger boost .

Yeah I figured a change will be good for the car anyway. Just can't get hold of rcm at the mo, think somone may have pulled the plug on the server before they left for Christmas [emoji51] I'll try ringing tomorrow morning