New to Subaru with WRX

Xander

Hi guys,

So I have just ordered my first Subaru and pick it up next week. Went to help my dad pick up his new car and had to take the wrx for a test drive and it was like nothing I have driven before so after an mot I will be picking it up. I don't know much about it in terms of spec level and so on so if someone could give me some info would be helpful.

It's a 2008 wrx hatchback and I think it grill has been changed but I am no expert that's why I am here.

Thanks for any help.
Alex

post-3815-0-85374300-1424095484_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Hell mate welcome to S.O.C 

From my neck of the woods :D probably see me driving around well see a few of us on here. Definitely looks like it's had the front grill swapped at some point. But looks good to me :) 

Wotcha and welcome - I love a hatch me!!

some specs - if it has the TD04 turbo bhp will be around the 225 - 230 mark with 0-60 just under 6 seconds - I think it was later in 08 or the 09 wrx's where they changed the turbo for a VF52 and gave it a remap which got power up to 260 odd and dropped 0-60 under 5 secs. So if you end up wanting more power there is potential there but look to improve the chassis and brakes as well if it is the earlier model as it may be a bit soft and wallowy (dont think that is a word but hey ho :D )

looks like it is a grill change - more air to your rad, which is good ;)

keep us posted with how you get on!!

• Like 1

great news - it will indeed be a world apart from the Navara - mind you mpg is probably similar :D

So cheaper as petrol is cheaper than diesel :-D

That said V Power is about the same.... Is there a benefit to performance fuel with these cars?

Picked it up today and drove it about 150 miles home and am so happy with everything so far.

Just wondering how do I know if it has keyless entry? As I thought it did but so it didn't work so far tried the turn it on pattern in the manual but not sure I did it right as nothing happened.

Not the end of the world but just wondering as love it so far.

It has part leather, hid headlights and heated wipers so thought it might have keyless as well.

Thanks

Alex

Hi looks like I was being silly as there is no unlock button on the door handles I think mine is not fitted with keyless.

But that's ok as it's still very fun to drive.

Just need to sort out the squeaking parcel shelf

Thanks

Alex.

• Like 1

Wotcha and welcome - I love a hatch me!!

some specs - if it has the TD04 turbo bhp will be around the 225 - 230 mark with 0-60 just under 6 seconds - I think it was later in 08 or the 09 wrx's where they changed the turbo for a VF52 and gave it a remap which got power up to 260 odd and dropped 0-60 under 5 secs. So if you end up wanting more power there is potential there but look to improve the chassis and brakes as well if it is the earlier model as it may be a bit soft and wallowy (dont think that is a word but hey ho :D )

looks like it is a grill change - more air to your rad, which is good ;)

keep us posted with how you get on!!

How can I tell what turbo is in it?

Thanks

Alex

I found replacing the LED side lights easiest by going through the wheel arch also recommend upgrading the high beam to these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400380971959?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Before

IMG_4314_zpsba2a2ad8.jpg

After

IMG_4326_zps9c8774b3.jpg

As you can see in the after shot the light looks dimmer but take into consideration the HID main beam is still on and is actually as bright as in the first picture but the camera filtered it due to the brightness :D

They have markings in the casting - if it is the VF52 it will have IHI on the casting and the TD04 is labelled also

VF52%20IHI_zpsjbsqzbts.jpg

TD04%201_zps378bhzhe.jpg

• Like 1