forester - intermittent fuel flow cutout

andy.michael

hi guys a few weeks ago while driving i was coasting down a hill when the car died on me and would not start it turned over fired and stalled straight away, after a few atempts  i popped the bonnet to check for any obvious signs of trouble but all seemed good so i got back in the car tried again and it fired up . the problem never happend again until yesterday , i went for a long drive parked up for half an hour and when i got back it would not run . now i knew it was a fuel problem but miles from home and no tools it was recovered . this morning obvious problems where checked fuel pump relay was swapped with the blower relay still no joy so the fuel pump was removed and tested with direct current and works . is there anything else im missing before i go down the long road of checking the wires. any help or advice would be realy apreciated . thanks in advance.                    1997 2.0 turbo IMPORT.

no error codes are coming up and the pump wont send fuel. i have a 300zx tt and that one has a switch on the fuel pressure regulator that cuts operation to the relay and in return the pump, does the forester have a similar system or is it just the relay and pump

So have you checked the voltage feed to pump & earth with a multimeter, tried a tempory earth to chassis.

Your pressure regulator is purely mechanical/vacum I think.

You got any alarm/imobilizer system with fuel cut !

i checked voltage to the pump and that is good i also switched the relay over with the blower one and that is good there is no alarm system on the car . so basicly i need to find what gives power to the relay and tells it to come on or off .  as the problem did happen before and cured itself i am leading to belive it must be another relay somewhere . i checked all relays and conections on drivers side now just got to check behind glovebox.

Thanks for sharing Andy that will probably help someone else out in the future.

PS hope you dont mind I edited the title to reflect the fault in order to help others find it