Subaru drivers safest on the roads

JusNoGood

I was very surprised at the insurance quote offered for my Forester 2.5 XT Prodrive, was expecting to pay much more.

With the excellent all wheel drive system, precise handling ( for an estate with a fairly high centre of gravity and good NCAP ratings my Foz felt very safe and secure.

Paid over £400 for fully comprehensive cover as a second vehicle which should have earned zero no claims discount.

Was also quoted £290 for a Suzuki Alto :o so definitely went for the Foz.

Recently had to let her go though due to unforeseen circumstances.

Looking forward to my next Subaru once we get the bank balance built up again.

Possibly interested in a Legacy estate or an Outback, maybe even another FOZ.

Really like the look of the Legacy Spec B estates but would have to have manual transmission and be a Pre 2006 model due to the excessive Road tax on the newer models. 

I pay £250 a year including AA for 15,000 miles a year. I have two cars and they gave me the NCD on both :D

I've been contemplating changing to a hatch. I've not driven one before but I'm expecting it to be a lot more comfortable on the motorway (doing 94miles a day, company pays the petrol). Not that the Blob is uncomfortable..

Hatch is softer on the standard suspension compared to the blob, steering also not as sharp - feedback from a friend of mine who had owned both classic and blob models after driving my hatch STi

• Like 1

I pay £250 a year including AA for 15,000 miles a year. I have two cars and they gave me the NCD on both

That sounds like a Good Price for a second vehicle.

I have over 9 years NCD on my first vehicle but managed to accumulate 1 year on a second car which was the FOZ.

My first vehicle has been modified so we are limited as to which companies will insure it.

From experience, most of the major insurers who give the best deals won't normally insure vehicles with power and performance increase mods.

• Like 1

Hatch is softer on the standard suspension compared to the blob, steering also not as sharp - feedback from a friend of mine who had owned both classic and blob models after driving my hatch STi

Thanks Jay. Just started a new thread in the Impreza area. I'd like a more refined car but I don't want to lose the <6sec 0-60,  4wd and I really don't want a Ford/Audi/Honda. 

Agree. We tend to be safer drivers because we know what to expect from our cars. It's when someone gets in one and does not know and then the accidents happen. e.g. when stolen. Of course these insurance twats now want to stick devices in your car to measure how you drive, which is just an excuse to put your insurance up from what I've heard from many who've had one.

Agree. We tend to be safer drivers because we know what to expect from our cars. It's when someone gets in one and does not know and then the accidents happen. e.g. when stolen. Of course these insurance twats now want to stick devices in your car to measure how you drive, which is just an excuse to put your insurance up from what I've heard from many who've had one.

Ah ah my nephew has one of those and his insurance was a lot cheaper...if you don't speed, don't drive at night etc. He just trundles around in a Yaris [emoji3]

I had a black box in my fiesta when I first passed... It was the only way I could afford to do it.

My sister was living in Yorkshire at the time, so I drove up and down a number of times visiting. Trying to do 70mph on the motorway is nearly impossible, particularly on a 300 mile trip. Not to mention the 20 zone that surrounds my house, a real pain later at night when nobody does 20 through it!

I suppose it could be argued that because we pay more for our insurance, we're cautious of doing anything that could make it go up even more?

Ah ah my nephew has one of those and his insurance was a lot cheaper...if you don't speed, don't drive at night etc. He just trundles around in a Yaris [emoji3]

I always drive in late evening /night if I didn't I would not have work. I would never have a black box in my car or my old man's. You try overtaking car on a motorway you go 75 you get hit with insurance premium for speeding. Ehh. No thanks.
  • Like 2

Actually, when you get to 50 years then your insurance is so low that most can afford to drive just about any powerful car if it's over 5 years old.

I found the insurance was a lot cheaper on my new Subaru than it was on my 13 year old classic. Probably down to better security on newer cars I guess.

I share a lift to work with a guy who drives a Citroen C1 so his insurance is probably next to nothing and he drives like a total ****. I genuinely fear for my life every time it's his turn to drive. He doesn't even change his driving depending on weather conditions and steers around roundabouts as if they're shaped like a 50p coin. So based on that Subaru drivers are safer drivers. The other guy in our lift share even said to me the other day "imagine if he drove your car, we'd probably be dead in 2 minutes flat."