Anyone changed from Blob/Bug to a Hatch?

JusNoGood

I'm considering trading in my blob for a hatch. I'm doing roughly 100 miles a day (company pays petrol) and was wondering whether the hatch would be a bit more refined....more comfortable and quieter (wind & road noise).  

Has anyone switched, how did you find the hatch after your blob/bug? Were you pleased with the change or disappointed?

I've not fallen out of love with my blob...just a wonderful drive but with the mileage I'm doing it and my ever increasing age it would be nice to have a more refined car. Without selling out and buying a boring audi or chavy Ford or losing the smirk inducing performance.

P.S. I'm very aware of the engine failures that the STI's more than standard WRX's suffer from  :D

• Like 1

Mentioned in other thread about my mates feedback - the doors have a frame all the way around the window so noise is a little less however they are still super light thin bodywork so there is some noise, best thing you can do is take a test run, I was more than happy doing lots of miles - family holiday to south coast etc doesnt make you feel like you have been battered from start to finish, definitely relaxed but can still put the hammer down with no issues at all :D

• Like 1

I have a hatch WRX not STI and do lots of miles in it. First week I owned it I did 1500 miles. Its a nice ride on the motorway not to stiff suspension wise and a nice car to do miles in. A little bit of wind noise but not a lot. Cruise control makes it super easy to do miles in.

I really like it, I do fancy an upgrade to an STI one day for more power but with my thinking head on I do love it for being a nice place to be when traveling.

Its not as nice as my friends TDI Golf on a long run but I know what I would rather drive. Also I guess you could change the seats if you want something softer.

Alex

• Like 3

I have a hatch WRX not STI and do lots of miles in it. First week I owned it I did 1500 miles. Its a nice ride on the motorway not to stiff suspension wise and a nice car to do miles in. A little bit of wind noise but not a lot. Cruise control makes it super easy to do miles in.

I really like it, I do fancy an upgrade to an STI one day for more power but with my thinking head on I do love it for being a nice place to be when traveling.

Its not as nice as my friends TDI Golf on a long run but I know what I would rather drive. Also I guess you could change the seats if you want something softer.

Alex

Interesting you say about the STI. I've been contemplating that myself. What scares me is the number of 2.5 STI failures. I read a few posts by an engine builder on scoobynet and he was basically saying the STI's are the ones that have had all the engine trouble and he's only had one WRX in for a rebuild.

Jay, yes very good idea. I do need to get my butt down to the Surrey meet...I've met a few of the guys outside of the meet and some have helped me out. Just not made it to one of the meets yet (must try harder). I know TG has a Hatch STI - beautiful car - which has recently unfortunately had an engine rebuild after failure. I'm sure he'd take me out for a spin too.

Interesting you say about the STI. I've been contemplating that myself. What scares me is the number of 2.5 STI failures. I read a few posts by an engine builder on scoobynet and he was basically saying the STI's are the ones that have had all the engine trouble and he's only had one WRX in for a rebuild.

Jay, yes very good idea. I do need to get my butt down to the Surrey meet...I've met a few of the guys outside of the meet and some have helped me out. Just not made it to one of the meets yet (must try harder). I know TG has a Hatch STI - beautiful car - which has recently unfortunately had an engine rebuild after failure. I'm sure he'd take me out for a spin too.

I haven't looked into the STI much due to only just picking up my wrx and doing some basic internet tuning math the power difference after a few simple mods to the wrx will be about the same performance as the wrx is also lighter.

But it's not all about power and I could not at the moment afford an STI and more so could not afford a car with problems.

If you seam to hear bad things about Sti it could be an easy safe choice to go for the wrx and look at the 2015 sti in a few years once the price comes down and we see if it has any problems.

That's my current plan anyway.

But I enjoy driving my wrx everyday. I think the sti is a different animal and not something I need right now.

Also just a thought look at the wrx-s if you can spot one. Has a little more power than standard I think 250bhp plus sti spoiler and a prodrive backbox with 18 inch alloys.

It's the car I would have got over the wrx if I had seen one in my price range.

--

I make Films and Website for people

Yes good call. Thats why I've ended up with a blob with 272bhp...  I wanted slightly more comfort, slightly less in ya face looks and more money in my pocket  :D

For me the benefit the remap gave was very nice smooth power delivery. 

Now this is interesting..taken from the wikipedia page..talking about the WRX. 0-60 of 4.7 :D  I can't actually find that from a WRX if I check the zero - 60 website but whats half a second between friends.

In response to criticism that the third generation WRX suspension is too soft, and needing to keep on par with rival car companies new releases, Subaru issued several changes in 2008 for the 2009 model year. The EJ255 engine received an output boost to 198 kW (265 hp) and 331 N·m (244 lb·ft) of torque by swapping the previous TD04 turbocharger to an IHI VF52. This lent to the car now achieving a 0-60 time of just 4.7 seconds, as tested by Car and Driver.[

Now this is interesting..taken from the wikipedia page..talking about the WRX. 0-60 of 4.7 :D I can't actually find that from a WRX if I check the zero - 60 website but whats half a second between friends.

In response to criticism that the third generation WRX suspension is too soft, and needing to keep on par with rival car companies new releases, Subaru issued several changes in 2008 for the 2009 model year. The EJ255 engine received an output boost to 198 kW (265 hp) and 331 N·m (244 lb·ft) of torque by swapping the previous TD04 turbocharger to an IHI VF52. This lent to the car now achieving a 0-60 time of just 4.7 seconds, as tested by Car and Driver.[

Yer I have seen that on wiki as well but looking online at 2010 and other wrxs I have yet to see a stock one claiming 265bhp. I wonder if they are talking about the wrx-s as that came out in 2009 and has about that power at 250ish but I think it was a td04 turbo and just a prodrive tune up.

I also don't see subaru selling a wrx with 265bhp when the sti only has 295bhp the 0-60s and real would power is going to be about the same.

--

I make Films and Website for people

I can't really comment as I went from an 16 year old classic straight to Hatch so it's like chalk and cheese.

Only thing I would say is go for the STI over the WRX, I so regretted not getting an STI when I got my classic. The STI is so much more car.

I'll be happy to give you test drive in my hatch. Next Surrey meet is 12/04 but I dont know if I'll be there tbh.

Dont necessarily be put off by the reported engine failures as myself, Pete and Salsa have had no issues - although Petes mate had one fail but hadnt enough oil in the engine :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I know TGs failed recently and I was talking to Dan at SSS the other week about a failed Hawk...so can't help but be concerned.

I'll pull my finger out and get to the next meet.

I'm actively looking...not many around.