Yet another newbie

IOWoc

Hi all

Im Ollie, i live on the isle of wight and im not quite a subaru owner just yet.

im currently working all hours under the sun to save up every penny i can to get a classic STi one of my top

all time dream cars, dispite my mrs and 2 kids best effort to spend it..

I have been hiding in the background for some time, spending many a 12hr night shift trawling the forum

learning all i can.

but i thought id best get my name out there and make myself known so "HI"

look forward to speaking with you and cant wait to get my car and start a build thread

(LOTS OF IDEAS ALREADY!)

cheers ScoobyGhost the earliest i would like is the V3 really but tbh i just cant wait full stop lol got big ideas too (would love to see 450bhp, iv also had a good read of your build thread mate nice motor you got there with some impressive dyno results!

morning stants and thank you, again iv had great pleasure reading your build thread also ( tbh iv read all the classic ones haha) cant wait to start my own, just waiting on the pennies

cheers ScoobyGhost the earliest i would like is the V3 really but tbh i just cant wait full stop lol got big ideas too (would love to see 450bhp, iv also had a good read of your build thread mate nice motor you got there with some impressive dyno results!

Thank you. I'm still really chuffed with the old girl. She does do well.

ASAP really, the long story is iv been off the road completely for about a year and a half, so i have nothing to trade in and have to save from scratch :( so iv packed in smoking taking all the extra shifts i can and cancelled xmas ( unless i get the scoob first haha )

unfortunatly saving money with 2 kids under 6, a misses who doesnt work and starts uni in sept is slow progress and im sure you can understand.

Understandable. I ended up working over Xmas to buy mine. It will come. When you go to look take your time and think with your head. There is a really good guide on here with a lot of the points to look out for and consider.

O il take my time I live in the town centre and have been walking the 25 mins to work since I got rid of my last motor so I don't mind sticking to foot power till the right one comes along also Iv never paid more that £500 for a car before and paid for it in the long run and don't want to end up spending my tuning cash on just keeping her on the road

Just keep an eye out as there are still a few unmolested cars or tastefully modded ones that are going for reasonable money, you see one owner cars that some chap has had for all it's life fsh etc and wants it to go to a good home just a case of being patient and biding your time, unfortunately there are more abused ones than anything knocking around, I got lucky one owner since importation for a straight swop for my old car. I wouldn't call mine a build thread more of an 'improving/refreshing old bits thanks for the comments though

Hi n welcome to soc

bear in mind If you're considering breaking the 400 barrier in a classic sti the engine , drive train and brakes will need to be uprated.

Unfortunately the modifications are quite costly (£3.5k+ in parts alone) , you might be better off ever aiming for the sub 350 hp and sticking with the standard sti equipment.

Or looking for a clean wrx to upgrade over a longer period rather than paying sti money(for the car and insurance) only to remove most of the sti bits when you want a reliable 400hp

Just food for thought before you buy the base car and best of luck with the hunt

sorry for the late reply been sleeping off another night shift 

Just keep an eye out as there are still a few unmolested cars or tastefully modded ones that are going for reasonable money...unfortunately there are more abused ones than anything knocking around...

thats exactly what I'm looking for :)

Hi savage thank thanks for the welcome

Hi n welcome to soc

bear in mind If you're considering breaking the 400 barrier in a classic sti the engine , drive train and brakes will need to be uprated.

from what i have read and learnt so far brakes would be on the agenda, as for drive train thats something i still need to do some research on ( any links would be very welcome ;) )

Unfortunately the modifications are quite costly (£3.5k+ in parts alone) , you might be better off ever aiming for the sub 350 hp and sticking with the standard sti equipment.

the overall cost isn't something I'm overly concerning my self with as this will be a Slow but steady ( if the kids allow lol ) build. The BHP isn't my main focus tho also want to insure the cars tin worm free and everything is 100% looks, handling and performance wise. i want this to be as  "no expense spared" as i can manage without upsetting her at home. 

Or looking for a clean wrx to upgrade over a longer period rather than paying sti money(for the car and insurance) only to remove most of the sti bits when you want a reliable 400hp

Just food for thought before you buy the base car and best of luck with the hunt

I did look at the WRX but for some reason they are about £400 more for me to insure than a STi! :S

i would also like to start with as high spec platform as possible

had i been planning or buying a great amount of parts and loosing all the STi parts over a month or two i would probably go for the WRX but as i said this isn't going to be a over night thing unfortunately.

but defiantly food for thought thank you savage.

my biggest problem for the moment will come when i start wanting to view cars as its going to cost me £20-£60 just to get off this !Removed! island! and that only gets me to so'ton or pompy  :angry:  :angry:

I've been modding my classic for about 3yrs so far and can't see me finishing it anytime soon [emoji5]

My original uk turbo had 90k fsh and when I fitted the forged engine (after I'd run it in) the gearbox died about a week after the road map probably@ about 330hp

My brv killed 2 early jdm short ratio gearboxes in 3 months @ 350 hp and generally people do say the standard classic boxes limit is 350hp.

Saying that Ash on here runs 370 (I think) and I know someone who ran 375 through his late classic box too .

The common upgrade is the newage sti 6 speed which are good for 600hp+ but cost £1.5k+ fitting .

Newage 5 speeds are considered stronger but don't like much more than 400hp .

5 speed dog box are about £2k+ pending on spec and handle abuse better than all the above.

Classic uk /wrx engines 320 hp limit

A Classic sti engines limit is about 360hp

Of cause all those figures are just rough pending on s/h ,condition, supporting mods and how much you push em [emoji6]

Brake wise some classics have 2 pot front calipers anything over 280 hp these become scary and need to be binned .

I'm running 4pot front and 2 pot rear calipers off a newage with drilled n groved discs and at 350 hp ish (admittedly without abs) I think there near their limit.so I'm currently looking into newage sti brembos .

A Labour of love right?

i had read on here about the gearboxs being good till about 350, i have heard about the 6 speed swap and that would

definatly be something id factor in ( more research to do :) )

my plan would be do the brakes either go for new age bremos if money will strech if not 4 pots till it will or power demands ir then shoot for 350, do the gearbox, after that id probably split the engine new forged pistons, rods etc all new bearings and gaskets and have the cyclinders done. then when i know the engine and running gear will take it 100% i would start pushing it higher bigger turbo ect

always good to know ya limits lol

are there any known limits for running gear hardware drive & prob shafts, CV joints ect?