Induction kits for imprezas

Melbel13

Apexi make one of the best filters for the scoob, not sure if they do a full kit, the typhoon kit from pipercross I think it is, that's a full kit and is supposed to be very good indeed

I can't see why it would do that, the bit your replacing is the filter, your swapping a small filter intake area for a bigger one, same pipe going to both turbo's

i used a pipercross panel filter in my sport no hassle :). got mine from tweeks but i would look elsewhere for my next one just thought it would be hard to find for a sport but they are everywhere.

I can't see why it would do that, the bit your replacing is the filter, your swapping a small filter intake area for a bigger one, same pipe going to both turbo's

I read it in a thread written by a bloke that works on legacy turbos,as a reply to someone who had the problem of the secondary turbo not responding at all after installing a cone filter. Unless he got it drastically wrong and put a tinny cone on it?

It could be the fact it's a closed end cone, if you look at the Apexi cones they are open ended and the air goes straight up the intake, with a closed end cone some of the air acts like a cyclone inside the filter, could be that robbing the power I suppose

It could be the fact it's a closed end cone, if you look at the Apexi cones they are open ended and the air goes straight up the intake, with a closed end cone some of the air acts like a cyclone inside the filter, could be that robbing the power I suppose

That is a distinct possibility particularly when the turbo spools up

Exup, I wasn't slating it mate I was just saying, a sport gains almost 100bhp by adding a single turbo, you'd think a twin turbo would be a shed load more but it's not that high as the turbo's are only small, they aren't slow, just less power than I expected when I fist saw one on a rr

It's not turbo'd. If that changes anyone's views on induction kits I'm very new to this if you didn't know lol.

Thanks for all the input though.

Hi mel ;) 

you wont see any real gain's in fuel or HP but will make it sound a bit more sporty. As for the induction kit I would say K&N is always my 1st choice and then Pipe cross. If you want me to find one that's suited for the car you own happy to have a look. Ebays seems to be best bet for a good cheap deal most of the time 

Exup1000Miggs 

You both still make a better love story than Twilight ;)

These are for non turbo, normally aspirated (NA) cars :)

I have used K&N on cars and bikes and Pipercross on MX bikes - when it comes down to a choice between these two go for whichever you like the look of as they are both good quality manufacturers - or additionally take into consideration the point Miggs made about having one that you do not need to oil

• Like 1

K&n are more exspensive, but their worth it.and they come with a life time guarantee hence having to oil them now and then, but I see what miggs is saying about a none oiled one

Ps, I was only messing miggs. I'm not the type to get offended easily. And I totally see what your saying about the twin turbo, single turbos are so much more versatile and you can get more out of them where as the twin would really be left alone

• Like 2

just for info as it has come up - the oiling of a filter is to catch the really fine particles that ordinarily would pass through the filter, hence the requirement to clean and re oil periodically - it is only to be a very light oiling, the filter shouldn't be dripping in the stuff, on the pipercross ones the only way you can tell its been oiled is it changes colour slightly as I use the blue putoline filter oil but after a day on the track particularly in dry conditions it is covered in dust and light blue no longer

Hey Mel i found just changing the standard panel filter for a k&n panel filter worked for me. No real gain just better air flow oh and very slight noise gain from the exhaust.....:D

• Like 2

I've got a HKS panel filter in my 2007 sti spec D. I've not noticed any power gains. But it lets some turbo noise through, and can even hear the dump valve venting into the air box a little too. I'm sure it will make a difference with a map. I've planned to get a induction kit and dump valve, but I'm waiting till I get a front mounted intercooler. Cos I'd have to get different dump valve etc then. That's why I got the panel filter, as with a little tickle on the remap it should make a slight difference

• 4 weeks later...

I've a new age WRX and I'm using a Cosworth panel filter.  Japspeed sell these quite cheap, give them a ring they are pretty helpful and will let you know if they have one in for your car.  

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza-GC8/Air-Induction/c-1-23-70/

The standard air box system is more than enough for your car and changing to an induction kit will likely lose you power if anything!  

Noticed your in Banbury, I'm about 10mins from Banbury towards Gaydon.. got a silver blob eye with a black spoiler and bonnet vent :D