hot rear brakes

hi,

going to sound like a typical women driver, so here goes.

should you be getting much heat in your back brakes, and warming your alloys, they seem to be squeaking a lot too. Sorry don't know how hot they were getting before they started squeaking, as didn't check.

The garage have checked them, and say the shoes are fine, and couldn't find anything wrong, but cleaned then up, as there was a bit of rust.

Going back to garage on Tuesday, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi and welcome

If they're getting hot quick without heavy use and squealing I'd guess that somethings seized.

Most of the braking is done by the front so the rears should be cooler than those as a rough guide

What year ,make and model is it ?

As if it has a floating 1 pot rear caliper they're quite prone to seizing if not maintained

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do agree they sound seized,

They need stripping down and a good clean up. Checking the pistons and sliders etc are moving freely then should be fine :)

Nothing major but needs sorting soon as this can cause the disk to over heat and worp

• Like 1

hi. thanks for the replies, brakes checked and everything is free, nothing seized, handbrake cable was a problem, which has been sorted for now, but will probs need replaced, but unable to source one, not even from the dealer, if anybody knows how to obtain them would be good.

how much heat should you be getting on the backs, as they are still getting warm.

thanks for your time

they shouldn't be getting warm, they only do about 20% of braking, the fronts do most of the work.

It sounds like something isn't right, and the pads are touching the discs while you are driving

no one has asked this but - do you do any handbrake turns? use the handbrake instead of the foot brake?

Hi and welcome

If they're getting hot quick without heavy use and squealing I'd guess that somethings seized.

Most of the braking is done by the front so the rears should be cooler than those as a rough guide

What year ,make and model is it ?

As if it has a floating 1 pot rear caliper they're quite prone to seizing if not maintained

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hiya Savage! :D what do you mean by "seizing if not maintained"?

The single pot rear calipers only have a piston on 1 side so rely on the "carrier" sliding freely to create equal pressure on both faces of the disc .

There's rubber gators over the sliding part of the calipers that perish and cause them to seize if moisture gets In and they're not replaced and regreased [emoji6]

• Like 1

If the piston moves freely just give the calipers a good clean ,remove them ,remove the gators over the sliding part ,clean the old grease off ,renew the grease and fit new gators .

The likes of "god speed" or "Asperformance" will probably keep the gators and piston seal kits (if the piston is seized) in stock .

If you don't feel confident stripping brakes yourself you could buy some refurbished units .

Or you can upgrade to 2 pot rears of a newage /late classic sti ,type r

• Like 1

sounds great, so if someone could nip over to County Durham and sort it out fab, but I have to reply on garage, they stripped the brakes down and cleaned them out, and said everything that should be free and moving is.

The only thing they could see was the hand brake was moving, so I take it that would move the brake over to be touching, and generating the heat, which is more on the passenger side, and this side does the squeaking, does this sound like a cause?

The second garage reckon the same nothing was sticking

Thanks alot