Big end or little end?

Hi, new to the world of Scoobies, very impressed with power and handling so I thought a track day would be a good idea. I spent several years racing saloon cars so I've a reasonable idea about car prep and limits etc. went to Bedford Autodrome, lots of Scoobies there. 18" wheels were rubbing on the arches so changed to 17". Three sessions no problems, all good fun. Final session before lunch, came out of sharp left hander onto the main straight and noticed the temperature had crept up to over halfway. Immediately slotted into fifth and slowed down, temp very quickly returned to normal. Pottered around the rest of the lap, came into the pits, left ticking over for 5 mins, watching the temp, all good. Turned off,let it cool down. Some time later started up, sounded like Armageddon, crunching banging squealing, immediate thought a broken pulley. Turned off, checked all pulleys, all ok. Started again, even worse, but blipped it and the noise started to fade. More revs and it cleared but there is still a loud metallic tac tac tac tac same speed as the engine revs. Conclusions, turbo shot and possibly an end, maybe follower, cam lobe. Not at all familiar with this engine so would appreciate any informed feedback. Someone at the track said I hadn't "burped it". Is there an air lock problem? Is this damage a result of overheating or maybe oil surge, lack of pickup due to high cornering speeds? Any constructive suggestions would also be appreciated.

how much fuel did you have in? it's not advised to do a lap with less than 1/4 tank, preferably 1/2 tank minimum, or can get detting from fuel starvation

have you got a top mount? they aren't very good at more than 90 as air goes straight over bonnet vent, so intake temp can rise and cause detting

what revs were you using?

Wotcha and welcome

you may well have suffered oil starvation if there is no baffle plate fitted and you were doing long high speed corners the oil can be forced away from the pickup or also it may have been the standard coolant pump not pumping the coolant round - apparently the design is fine for lower / med revs but running at a constant level of higher revs can result in cavitation - this would result in the higher than usual temperatures

• Like 1