Oil Advice

I need to top up my oil on my WRX however I am confused which oil to use. Everything online (Halfirds, Eurocarparts etc.) says 5/30 whereas Subaru4You website who serived my car recommends 10/60.

What oil do people use???

Depends on how modified and what year it is etc etc www.opieoils.co.uk is good and we get discount.

Mine runs 10-40 full or semi synth depending on the season

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

First number in oil grades is for flow

The lower the number the thinner the oil is (thinner oil flows quicker)

The second number is to grade the thickness at 100°

Higher the number the thicker the oil is when up to 100° running temp

Think most recommend 5 w 30 for newage or 10w 40 if it's a bit noisy/done a few miles

10w 40 for classics or 10w 50 if it's got a bit piston slap or been to the moon and back

I used to run millers cfs 10w 40 in my standard ish uk turbo and then upped it to 10w 50 as the piston slap got worse after my remap .

I currently run millers nano drive 10 w 60 but only because the race spec pistons are noisy as fook until up to temp .

Interesting to know you stuck 10-50 in the classic, never mind the 10-40's going in sat,

With the outside temps in the 20's my early morning slap is none existent at the moment [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Oil grades are a bit of a can of worms as loads of people have different opinions. I'd stick with what you normally use if it's not noisy when cold (to thin) or warms up to quickly (to thick causing excessive friction)

Plus I'm far from a expert in oil advice and can only comment on my own experiences with my classics

Imo Tim @ Opie Oils will give you a much better informed choice of which oil suits your car and needs

summer 10w40 fine, winter 5w40 good option, high hp & track use then 10w60 good.

for your mileage & if mainly being used as road car then 5w40 all year round would be fine. Millers cfs is a good oil, I use it a lot in subarus & nissans.

Dipped the oil and worked out that I had enough to last me for three days at least so brought the Millers 10-60 which is what the car was serviced with. Went for the 5 litre so I can keep a supply (just encase!)