Potential future owner. Advice please

Son of Odin

Hello all,

Just to give you some background before I throw any questions around, my last few cars have been on finance and that must end soon as I plan to buy my first house and need to save for a deposit. As I still have my student loan until 2017, car finance is not doable with house and mortgage plans.

So, I currently own a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST-2 and the agreement ends in April 2016 so I will hand the car back. Running costs are very reasonable and I tend to have a mixture of steady driving and driving with a lead foot which sees low 30's mpg. Driven harder sees high 20's mpg. The VED is £99 for 6 months.

My budget in March next year is projected to be £2k-£2.5k max and I'm happy to go lower than £2k if the right car comes along. I have been looking on autotrader at both the Impreza wagon or saloon in 2.0GX guise (I don't want the beastly versions) and the Legacy saloon 2.0. The legacy comes out slightly better than the Impreza on VED. My thinking here is a nice reliable car with the bonus of 4WD (I used to own a 4x4 and I like the benefits of 4WD).

My main concern is the MPG and I need your advice please. I only do 70 miles per week commuting to and from work so big time economy is not needed. However, are the models I am interested in absolutely atrocious on fuel or can you get them into the 30's with steady driving?

Any big concerns reliability wise with known faults on these models? I know Subaru have a good reputation overall.

Cheers

I have a bugeye wrx and if I drive like a grandad I can get it into the 30s...so I will assume a n/a would be mid 30s maybe more but it depends on the condition of the engine

In terms of reliability look after it and it should last you plenty

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'd go for a legacy, if you get an impreza you'll always be wanting a turbo'd version, the leggy is a more refined drive and more up market in the cabin, plus people alwasy expext you to have a million bhp, in the impreza, I average 100 miles a week and 30 quids worth of shells finest usually does me, round town it's 20-25 ish long runs mid 30 even saw a heady 38mpg once ! the gx doesn't really save much in fuel over the wrx's

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do agree with stants to a point but the legacy is like driving  an arm chair it was to soft for me lovely car reliable but for an older person. 

I loved my forester space comfort handling very reliable just wanted more power was going to get a turbo?

Decided to go for an Impreza this time and I can not fault it it amazing handles power comfort the lot.

My advice is to go for a none turbo impreza wagon SPORT. reliable, comfy, space, handles well, got more poke that standard but is more eco than a turbo perfect!!

VED is a very minor part of overall running costs, however i did choose a pre 2006 2.0 wrx model so i didn't pay gas guzzler tax!

WRXs are surprisingly affordable to run (maybe i just expected the worst), and 3 months into ownership mine has wanted nothing but fuel and air. Its civilised and as it doesnt have the sti spoiler it would almost be subtle if it wasn't for the bonnet scoop. Parts are in abundance and support and advice available is probably the best out there. They seem simple enough and solid. That and its a practical family wagon, great for shopping (better than the micra it replaced) and does mile munching duties when required with ease. Sometimes want more mid range poke tho... but it's easily enough achieved with a few upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input folks. I'm 31 now so older but yes I do appreciate the comment on the Legacy. Perhaps the saloon is less old man than the estate. I guess the automatic version really would be hideous on fuel.

It was the Impreza Wagon that caught my eye initially I must say. The VED is £159 for 6 months vs £123 for the Legacy for 6 months.

tbh if your worried about mpg then move along, no subaru gets great mpg even the none turbos, if anythign the turbo's are better

As above, big time economy is not needed but I am interested to know what the real world figure is. Low 30's would be fine so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't horrific mpg. I can't get a WRX within my projected budget.

My auto rx gets 28\29 urban mpg not bad it on a run yet but i believe with a remap it will get more as the box changes and associated revs are quite high

Just another query guys out of curiosity, I see the tank capacity of the legacy is quoted as 64 litres. My Fiesta ST is 42 litres and at current prices with normal unleaded at Shell, it costs me around £65 to fill up from running on vapour.

In the Legacy, would you be looking at around or just shy of £100 to fill up? Also, what is typical range on a full tank? I am wondering if it will be similar to the Freelander 2 auto I used to have which cost around £100 to fill up.