Electrical Issue on Windows & Maybe Central Locking

Hi, 

I have got a 93 JDM WRX and I'm having what I assume is an electrical issue with my windows(I'm no electrician but looking to learn as much as I can). The drivers side window has never worked, I tested the circuit and it seems to be getting a current when the switch is pressed at the green connector that goes into the wire through to the back of the motor so I assume the motor is shot but the other 3 all worked from the drivers panel and the individual switches. 

I have started stripping the car as I'm looking to use it for rallying eventually and when I took the rear door cards off I took the switches off with them which stopped the rear windows from working(I assume because the circuit was not complete) but the passenger window still worked from the drivers panel and the passenger switch. Over the weekend I re-attached the switches to the rear window circuits and they started working again from the individual switches and the drivers panel. 

Ok so all was good at this point, 3 out of the 4 were working which I could live for now. I then removed all the carpets and roof lining and took the speaker out of the drivers door. On re-attaching the door card none of my windows now work from any switch. I have tested the panel and it is getting power and with the back off when a switch is pressed the volt meter shows a spike so it looks like it is doing something. When I re-tested the green connector on the wire that goes into the motor on the drivers door it now no longer registers any activity on the tester. 

So does anyone have any idea what could be the issue? I've looked online and I can't see anything about a fuse for the windows but is there one? Could this be an earthing issue and if so how do I go about testing and diagnosing it? Any help would be greatly appreciated as the passenger window is currently stuck down. Is there a way to force the window back up? Can I put a charge through the motor to put the window up?

Again thanks in advance.

Hey,

I had a problem a while back with my window switches, it was all working fine then one day the drivers window would only work the once then that was it...... Unless I turned the car off and on again then it would work again, but only the once??

I cleaned up all behind then control box (degreaser and cleaned) then re connected but nothing, so in the end I brought a new control box / switches for the windows and it all works fine now......

As it was only the drivers one getting stuck I just replaced the control switches......... A 2nd hand one was less than £15 inc p&p for mine.

Hi Dan, that is the definition of an odd problem. Glad you got it sorted. By control box do you mean the 4 switches and lock button on the drivers door or is there a box somewhere in the dash? When you had the issue did any of the other windows work from their switches or did they all stop working? 

Hi Dan, that is the definition of an odd problem. Glad you got it sorted. By control box do you mean the 4 switches and lock button on the drivers door or is there a box somewhere in the dash? When you had the issue did any of the other windows work from their switches or did they all stop working? 

Control box as in the 4 switches and lock button (sorry)

All the other windows worked, the two rear were ok on their own switch and from the drivers one, I did experience the passengers switch moving mine (drivers window) as well as its own window towards the end of the switches life before getting a new one.....

I couldn't see any other issues or wiring touching or loose so opted for a new switch box instead. (4 switches drives door)

Ah ok I see. Well the fact that your other windows worked still is different to me and sort of scuppers my idea that if one went they all went as it would not be a complete circuit. I might try another control box but I think that is ok as it seems to send out signals when I had the voltmeter against it. I think it is a wiring or earth issue somewhere but don't really know where to look. Does anyone know of a way to manually get a window back up?