Classic impreza upgrade path?

ChrisD

Hello, my friend has a impreza 95 wrx e limited and he wants to get it to a high bhp, not being familiar on the classics what is the upgrade path? What can the engine cope with out being re built, what can transmission and clutch deal with and so on? any information would be great, thank you :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

There will be slightly different parts and maybe a closed deck block if he's lucky, depending on the month of manufacture.

So easier to get big power out of as you won't need to source a new block

There will be slightly different parts and maybe a closed deck block if he's lucky, depending on the month of manufacture.

So easier to get big power out of as you won't need to source a new block

I thought only the sti had a closed deck block?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I imagine once I tell him how to get 330 he will forget about 550, I think he Is the kind of guy who exects a 50 bhp increase from an induction kit and a further 50 break from novelty stickers

I thought only the sti had a closed deck block?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm not completely sure but a fair few of the early cars had them, same with the old legacies all had closed blocks, specially with if it's an import you never know what's under the bonnet

Not sure I will ask him (he is more of a friend or a friend who wants to know) but I'm sure he would wanna go just to expand his knowledge a bit

550bhp is going to be nocking on the door of £20k from a standard car.

So it's a case of how deep are his pockets?

Brakes are !Removed! on early one so thats a must, 330mm AP 6 pot kit is £1250 from godspeed, if i were doing brakes thats where my money would go, you can get cheaper kits, but AP's are the daddy and if your eventual goals are 500+ then you need proper stoppers.

Engine wise depends how lucky he is, some early ones actualy had closed deck blocks. WRX's were kinda throw together with what ever they had on the shelf, some folks got lucky.

Has he got a budget in mind he wants to spend?

• Like 2

I will find out from him, waiting to here back from him. Thanks mate :) 20k is what I was expecting if not more. I don't think his pockets are that deep, think he needs some basic education first :,)

I said breaks and handling is a must

Being a 95 wrx i wouldn't have thought it had a cdb as standard (93 and early 94's had the cdb's)

And as stants said you'd have to change the standard internals to break the 350hp mark even on a early sti with a cdb (heads lift off @370hp).

I'd Eco tidgy with saying that the brakes and suspension should be the first port of call with a early classic, as the 2 pot fronts are shocking even @ 220hp ,add another 100 ponies and he'll end up with a tiger skin interior (if he's lucky)

I blew my 97 classic uk 5 speed to bits @ about 330hp/320 flbs while in mid gear @ 3/4 throttle. A 6 speed conversion is probably the cheapest 400hp+ upgrade option (over a ppg 5)

Imo I'd get at least the brakes upgraded and the get it remapped before aiming to high with the £20 k pub figures

with the standard Tdo5 16g's and yellow 440cc injectors you'll see about 320 hp from a decated scoob ,which is enough to leave most heavier modern, more powerful cars with a bitter taste in their mouths (normally from the v power cloud as you disappear from view )

• Like 1