Diesel Particulate Filter Light

jillmackay

Has anyone had the same problems as me?  I bought a new XV in June this year and am demented with it! WIsh I had never seen it!  After three weeks, the diesel particulate light started to flash.  Contacted and took to my dealer to have reset.  Have been through the same performance four times now and it keeps coming on!  They are useless at solving this problem!  They keep tellling me it is the way I am driving and I must drive at sustained revs for 10 miles or so to sort this problem out.  What a load of rubbish.  For a start, this is not always possible on the type of roads I use every day and it says in the manual this when the light flashes it must be reset by the dealership.  They will not admit that this car has a problem.  I am at the stage of taking legal advice against Subaru to get this car taken back as it is not fit for purpose.  I've had Subaru's previously but never had this nonsense before.  Anyone have any ideas how to clear this problem once and for all.  It's certainly not a good advert for this car!

Modern Diesels are notoriously crap for low speed or short journeys because of the dpf issues. They need high speed driving to help keep them clear. It's not really subarus fault but more a combination of enforced legislation and poor sales guidance. You either need to drive enthusiastically more often or consider a vehicle more suited to your driving style, I.e a petrol.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

As above - DPF's are a well known issue in all diesel cars nowadays - either change your driving style or change the car I'd suggest. It's not a 'fault' as such unfortunately.

I had a diesel a few years ago and 2-5 minutes of driving in 2nd gear at 40mph used to reset it

Whilst it is frowned upon there is an option to get it remapped a have a dpf delete completed. Not exactly mot friendly dependant on where you go though. I would try the higher revs in low gear first though has worked for me in past on other diesels. As mentioned this isnt just a Subaru issue its a diesel motor issue so if you changed to another manufacturer but kept a diesel you will get the same result

What brand of fuel are you using in it?

what is the normal daily use of the vehicle?

4th gear at 1800-2000 rpm for 20-25mins as per the hand book to try and force it to clear.

the other item that it could be is one of the intercooler hoses has a split causing an air leak which will mess up the readings

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I have a 2012 one. 2.0 diesel

Had the DPF removed, cut out of exhaust, hole welded up.

Software deletion and re-map. Now its 177HP with 433 Torque

Now it goes like a Subaru should and no DPF crap

I do lots of short trips. 3 - 6 miles. 1800 revs, floor it and just pulls like mad. Bit of black smoke sometimes

Hi. I have a 2012 one. 2.0 diesel

Had the DPF removed, cut out of exhaust, hole welded up.

Software deletion and re-map. Now its 177HP with 433 Torque

Now it goes like a Subaru should and no DPF crap

I do lots of short trips. 3 - 6 miles. 1800 revs, floor it and just pulls like mad. Bit of black smoke sometimes

Hope you know a friendly tester, or mot time could be interesting [emoji54]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk