Can I upgrade my Turbo's

shadowvyper

Hi all, would anyone know if I can upgrade the turbo's on my 1996 Legacy GT from vf18 primary and vf19 secondary to the bigger vf21 primary and vf22 secondary, can the standard ecu be re-mapped to take the bigger turbo's or will I need to change the ecu. Thank you.

Mine has a SimTek ECU from Bob Rawle- to be honest, the whole mapping/ECU thing is a bit beyond me- but as far as I can figure it out it's the easiest way to go about it (although I may be wrong).

turbo upgrade has been done, but I think you need some seriously deep pockets- you have to change various parts of the exhaust to get the exhaust gas flowing better to spoil them up properly as well as work to various valves and solenoids in the car. As stants suggested, a single turbo conversion could be the way forward.

• Like 1

Ooh didn't know the sim tek was available for yours Sam, what year is it ? learn something new every day, how did you find the mapping day & what did you think of bob ?reason I ask is we'll eventually get a guide to mapping posted up.

As far as I'm aware that's what it is anyway... Mines a 96. It was a previous owner that had all that done, however I'm going up there next Wednesday for the map tweek. Hopefully I'll come back with a little more understanding of it all!

Cheers guy's I was thinking it might be a major expense, I'm moving towards the single conversion as that would only require a donor Impreza I've been LED to believe. Since having the Version 1 the Legacy just feels to slow now it needs more go. I believe there is a single turbo conversion thread on here I will hunt it down and read it avidly. Thank's again for the advice.

As far as I'm aware that's what it is anyway... Mines a 96. It was a previous owner that had all that done, however I'm going up there next Wednesday for the map tweek. Hopefully I'll come back with a little more understanding of it all!

Is the refreshed lump in and running now sam ?

Cool let us know I was led to believe that it was only esl that was available for our age cars, best of luck with the map, are you doing 'live' on road or dyno mapped ?

Not a clue- it'll be a nice surprise when I get there!

Is the refreshed lump in and running now sam ?

It's in place, the weather wasn't with me on Monday so couldn't get anything much done. Hopefully a big push on Sunday and Monday if needed and everything will be ready for next week!

I will def be looking to swap 2 for 1 next year.  The guys who have done the conversion are generally very pleased with the results and wouldn't go back.

The map on mine was horrible so had to go back to more stock.   Now need to go back on the dyno to get just the primary turbo boosting a bit more (if it can).  Just waiting for a call back.  Be nice not to have to fiddle with both and have one.

After reading Tlag's write up about his project I think the single turbo option is the way to go, I have had nothing but trouble with my twin setup since the day I picked up the car. I had got the car running fine which lasted about a week then drove me nut's again with the code 66 Aagh it does my head in. What I found most interesting with the project write up was the fact that it did not need a complete loom change just 4 wires on the ecu plug, which 4 i'm not sure about but I will find out (I HOPE). Having got the V1 Impreza now and worked on it for a bit, I'm finding it so much simpler to get on with there is even a bit of room under the bonnet (not on the Leggy though). So for the new year I will be converting to a single turbo Leggy. Have sorted the oil leak on my V1 now, after the so called bottom end rebuild it was supposed to have had last year(I very much doubt) I discovered the front crankshaft and camshaft oil seals just about knackered, all been replaced with new timing belt and she is sweet as a nut. Something finally works as it should Whoop Whoop.

• 3 weeks later...

Totally go single mate,the parts to upgrade arent that much I'e turbos form the next gen ( bh5 like geoffs) but the esl board and remap adds up,and for the gains you get its not worth it.ive lived with mine on vf18 19 ,but I'm going single pretty soon and put it on a forged engine by the end of next year.i still love my legacy and if it had !Removed! I'd leave my wife but alas I can only but dream

• Like 1

And if I was running a single turbo I wouldn't need to be replacing the primary right now  :( . Thankfully its not the end of the world and a good op to get a slight remap while its there  :)

Totally go single mate,the parts to upgrade arent that much I'e turbos form the next gen ( bh5 like geoffs) but the esl board and remap adds up,and for the gains you get its not worth it.ive lived with mine on vf18 19 ,but I'm going single pretty soon and put it on a forged engine by the end of next year.i still love my legacy and if it had !Removed! I'd leave my wife but alas I can only but dream

With you on that one mate  :P