Legacy Wheels ideal for winter.

outback46

4 Wheels off my now replaced 2009 Legacy, 2 have cosmetic delamination (replaced with new by Subaru under warranty), 2 are in good condition.  Photos of all.  All 4 were run in last few years as winter wheels/tyres.  Ignore the tyres as not much left on any of them.  Northumberland/Newcastle.  £150 ono.

post-5151-0-57843000-1444122590_thumb.jp

post-5151-0-85966100-1444122604_thumb.jp

post-5151-0-89062000-1444122613_thumb.jp

post-5151-0-16951000-1444122624_thumb.jp

Lol I know so I need to look for outback wheels if I don't want to mess up the offset, saying that I've seen loads of foz's on wrx rims that don't seem to have any problems with the rear strut clearence

Could someone explain the 'offset' issue, and potential problems with putting different model Subaru wheels onto other Subaru cars?

I have a 2003 gen 3 legacy Outback with 16" alloys, but would like to replace them with some 17" gen 4 alloys, if possible (whether off a gen 4 Legacy or gen 4 Outback).

I'm confused guys.

I can't get my head round it either but the offset is how far the wheel protrudes outwards from the centre of the hub, towards the outside of the car, so a larger offset will fill the arch out more, I've a diagram somewhere that makes more sense if I can find it I'll pop up

post-3548-144462975824_thumb.gif

Offset is the relation between the centre line of the wheel and the point the wheel bolts to the hub. A positive offset will pull the centre line closer to the car so you may have trouble with the wheel contacting the suspension or tyres rubbing the inner arch. Negative offset will push the wheel away from the hub which may stick out of the arch or rub the wing.

There is usually a tolerance for each car and I'm sure I've seen it posted online for subarus. It gives you the highest/lowest offsets the car can take.

Thanks ScoobyGhost for that explanation and the diagrams.

So, the higher the 'offset' number ie 55, the further the centre line of the wheel will be from the face of the hub, (with the risk of the tyre possibly rubbing the inside of the wing),and vice-versa, the lower the offset number ie 48 the nearer the centre of the wheel will be to the hub face (bearing in mind the risk of tyres rubbing suspension legs, inner wing etc)??

Just checking in my 'simple brain' understanding of the situation lol.

Then, I imagine the outside radius of the complete wheel inc tyre, would also have to be considered?

Ie,going from a 16" wheel with a 215/60/16 tyre, to a 17" wheel, with a 215/45/17 tyre, to keep the same radius, (as an example)??

The info showing 'max' or 'min' offset for Subaru's would be very handy indeed, if you can find it.

I'll search and post if I find it, i'm sure there are a lot of people out there,

as confused as I am about the 'offset' issue. 

The lower the offset number the closer the centre line is to the hub surface which will push the wheel out.

With tyre size, 215 is your width 65 is the % of width as sidewall height. You're right in what you say if you have a larger rim, go for a lower sidewall profile to have the same size tyre/wheel radius.