Subaru hawkeye massive bang

robwrx

Hi guys just went to take my car home from a in a it of lunch went to change into 2nd gear to hear a massive bang an my car died on the side of the road. Tried to turn ignition on a no response what so ever, had to phone recovery truck. While waiting only to be passed by a fellow scooby owner with a big grin on his face

Just had cambelt changed with water pump an all the other stuff. My mechanic reckons I might of stripped the gear box an the bang might of been the propshaft snapping,it has been making a horrible sound in first gear when you let off the pedal since I've had it now I think it's going to get expensive

Wouldn't think the gearbox would stop the car from starting though would it?

Sorry to hear about it, hope it's not an expensive problem.

Did think that but we will see what the mechanic finds :) I could start and move mine when it went so be interesting to see what it is. 

Wouldn't think the gearbox would stop the car from starting though would it?

Sorry to hear about it, hope it's not an expensive problem.

depends on how bad the box had gone, mine locked up most of the gears and even with the clutch down still wouldn't free wheel and that was only when i stripped 3rd gear clean of all its teeth lol

Mine would drive and freewheel until the snapped off parts kept jamming itself in. Luckily I was about half a mile from home [emoji15] so made it back. I did think it was the big ends when it first went though lol. Which would have disappointed me [emoji16]

Mine would drive and freewheel until the snapped off parts kept jamming itself in. Luckily I was about half a mile from home [emoji15] so made it back. I did think it was the big ends when it first went though lol. Which would have disappointed me [emoji16]

i was sat on the side of the mountain on the isle of mann when mine went hahaha, worse places to break down though,

P1010013.jpg

• Like 2

Nice photo lol mine was on the bend of a country lane bend bit nail biting. I have spoke to the mechanic and confirmed its f#€$%d. He had a look for a replacement an reckons bout £700.

So I think it's going to go to a pro to be rebuilt. He wrekons the inboliser kicked in that's y it never started. I'm Gona change the clutch an flywheel any tips on what to get?

Result it being the gearbox in some respects. I'd contact gears in Liverpool see what they would charge for the rebuild they might even have one to part ex in for your old one they're good like that. [emoji3]

Only ever used exeedy clutches so would recommend them happily. [emoji106]

• Like 1

What was the cause?

the time of failure doesn't always mean that's when the damage was done.

Tis unusual though, the hawk wrx box's are pretty strong, i ran over 400ftlb for a good 14 months no issues.

• Like 1

the time of failure doesn't always mean that's when the damage was done.

Tis unusual though, the hawk wrx box's are pretty strong, i ran over 400ftlb for a good 14 months no issues.

Yeah, I understand that. I was curious what originally happened and see the story unfold from there.

My first gear always made a horrible winding sound just wear I think plus the missus always ghosting it lol.

Liverpool bit far from me I'm in Birmingham, there's a power train company that has been recommend to me. Exeedy clutches are what I've been looking at so that's what I'm aiming for

• Like 2