When changing gaskets, and the engine is open, what else to do?

Martin959

Hiya guys!

Im planning to change head gaskets soon, since i found the coolant with a brownish color... still is kinda strange, since the coolant and oil levels are good for quite a while, and even with a small oil leak coming from the bottom...

So, when the engine is open, what else should be changed? Whats mandatory? or only the Head Gaskets and thats it, dont even open to the crankshaft level?

Thanks! :D

Hahahahhaha well, yeah... but when you mean forge, you mean pistons and rods, right? :P 

I was planning to do put:

- Head Gasket Cosworth

- Head Bolts Cosworth

- Bearings Cosworth

Im not on a big budget, I saw some japanese pistons that were ionidized or something like that, at 120 pounds or so... but... brand is kinda unknown to be honest...

And i dont know if it really makes sence to invest too much on an open deck :(

I scoured the net for the cheapest prices and asked luke at icp to try to "price match" them [emoji6] think full gasket/timing roller set ,gates kevlar belt, acl bearings, block bolts ,Apr head bolts and it cost just under £ 1k .

I then got cossie head gaskets and fluids else where .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

Yup, I dont know if its broken or not, but i have a small oil leak, and to be honest, the car its from the 1997... xD at some point it needs to have the internals changed :P

But yeah, dont know if its truly worth it to upgrade to forged the internals being an open deck :P

I think the scd blobeye jdm sti bottom end is at its limits at 450hp but im unsure what the limits are on a OBD with forged internals ,although i had read that pre v4 classic rods are known to bend at 380hp .

I think most uk turbos only get mapped to 320hp but whether thats due to deck type , internals or cams i couldn't tell you .

Any idea what hp you want ?

• Like 1

Well, here is THE thing.... on Spain, more specifically in the southern region it gets pretty worm during the summer, around 40 C or even more, thats why what im currently aiming is probably to deal with those heats without any problem, i changed the radiator, and also the thermostat in order to open 10 C before... 

So priority 1 is the reliability, priority 2 is performance... dont know much to do other than forged pistons and forged rods, since its an open deck of a 97 wrx :P 

Also budget is not that big... hahahah how good are the stock pistons and rods? are those forged? do i need to change them as well? not planning to do a remap since i will have to also get a new ECU and i dont know many trust-able places here in Spain to do a remap... :P

I have been reading and they said that is kinda pointless to put Cosworth gaskets if no mods are gonna be made xD, i was planning to change turbo, but still cant modify the ECU, so dont know what mods i can do to improve performance without the need to remap the ECU xD