Subaru safety recall

Sean

Hi people, had my Subaru wrx for eight year and I was happy until I  started dealing with Subaru (uk) about this recall. Does anyone know anything about this safety passage airbay recall, all views will help!! Thanks 

Edited by Sean

I would imagine it is related to the Takata manufactured air bags issue - some of them can cause massive injury when deploying

Is yours one of the ones that need assessing cant remember if it was late blobs or early Hawks that had the potential issue, we had a thread elsewhere on the site about it?

19 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

I would imagine it is related to the Takata manufactured air bags issue - some of them can cause massive injury when deploying

Is yours one of the ones that need assessing cant remember if it was late blobs or early Hawks that had the potential issue, we had a thread elsewhere on the site about it?

Cheer mate, had my recall in Jan from Subaru uk, told me to go main dealer, main dealer told me that Subaru uk only supping one airbag per month and I was 16th in line, so I went to Subaru uk.

over the last few days I have had few email for Subaru uk saying that due to worldwide demand, that they could only supply uk so many airbag, in the uk there meant to be about 10,500 Subaru with this issue !!

They are tell us that we can not use our passage sit just in case it go off!!

i would be grateful if you hear of anything, u can let me know.

Sean 

Edited by Sean

It's correct mate the 55 plate I have hasn't even got a booking date yet that was two months ago when I rang up to get it in. They also confirmed it was one a month because of the short supply of parts. And like you have been told not to use the passenger seat. but I don't mind I don't sit in that seat. :wink: But joking aside I think it's been poor from Subaru's side of things on dealing with this. 

I would tell subaru to provide me a rental car of similar level until they can make the car they sold safe. No way they can say don't use the passenger seat just tell them it's your only family car. 

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

I think you just like the drama Alex :laugh: 

Always like a good argument with car sales people, makes me feel better about all the times I got a rubbish deal. But seriously if they are saying you car isn't safe to use they should give you something that is safe to use. Think how much it would cost them if the air bag killed someone.

Yer I don't know how it all works with the car being second hand. Still a good argument never hurts anyway.

--

I make Films for businesses and people. I also make websites.

Well Seans just emailed me what Simon at Subaru UK has been saying I'll add snippets. And thanks to Sean for passing the info on gave me better picture of how huge it was :ohmy:

1.   Thank you for contacting us today with regards to the recently announced recall on your vehicle. 

Subaru have announced that there are approximately 10,500 UK vehicles that will require the passenger airbag changed as part of the world wide recall.  Subaru have confirmed that this recall will only apply to Impreza, WRX and STi models manufactured between 2004 & 2007.  As this recall is primarily effecting high moisture or humidity countries, supply of the replacement airbags are being directed to those countries first. We are working hard with Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru parent company) to acquire airbags for the UK market as quickly as possible. 

Upon investigation by Takata, leaks were found in the SPI inflators of some passenger airbags. Such a leak can increase the potential for moisture to reach the main propellant wafers. 

In the case of a crash necessitating the deployment of the passenger airbag, the subject propellant wafers could cause the inflator to rupture with metal fragments potentially striking and injuring vehicle occupants. 

I do have to point out that this has only happened a few times around the world and never in the UK or in a Subaru, however Takata have for obvious reasons recalled the airbags that could potentially cause injury. 

As this recall affects your vehicle, can I ask that until further notice you do not carry passengers in the front passenger seat of your car.  This is the advice being given by DVSA to all vehicle Manufacturers and Distributors in the UK whose vehicles require a Takata Passenger airbag. 

I understand this could be of significant inconvenience to you however until such time as we know exactly when the parts will be available to us, it is better to avoid any possible injury that could occur. 

Unfortunately the recall has affected a number of vehicle manufacturers worldwide and is currently involving an estimated 50.2 million vehicles. We are entirely in the hands of Takata and their ability to produce enough airbags to satisfy global demand. 

I understand that being 16th in line is not desirable and it may be prudent to try a few other Subaru Dealers to see if you can move slightly higher on their lists.  As parts are arriving in small numbers we are allowing Dealers to have control over the order in which the parts are fitted.  We have been informed that the number of replacement airbags to the UK will start to increase during 2016 and hope that a Dealer will be able to get your passenger airbag rectified quickly.   

Unfortunately inconvenience, expenses, commercial losses, loan cars and courtesy cars are not covered by the manufacturer, however the costs of the replacement airbag will of course be carried out free of charge. 

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused by Takata's recall and hope you understand that Subaru UK are entirely in their hands.

Best regards 

Simon

2. Hi Sean 

Thanks again for your reply.  As explained in previous emails, this is the largest world wide recall in automotive history.  Subaru have a duty of care to ensure that if a part on their vehicle has a safety related problem that the part is fixed as soon as possible under a safety recall. 

Your car has a part that needs replacing and will be replaced as quickly as possible.  The Manufacturer is currently sending replacement parts in small numbers and therefore we can not fit a replacement part if we do not have one. 

Subaru UK are the importer and distributor and not the retailer.  If you wish to try to reject your vehicle as not fit for purpose then you would need to speak to the seller that you purchased the vehicle from. 

Obviously with a recall on this scale, the worlds press are already very aware of the issues as are DVSA (VOSA) with whom we have to update regularly as the recall progresses. 

I am pleased that your service history is all up to date.  Providing it is a Subaru Dealer history or you can prove that only genuine Subaru Parts have been used, then if you can scan it and email or post a copy of it to the address below, I will review it and ask the factory to see if they can be of any assistance to you with regards to speeding up the replacement airbag. 

Regards 
  3. Sean 

Takata have opened a new Factory and the Japanese government are investing in another Factory to speed up production.  Other Airbag Manufacturers are also offering assistance, however they still need to produce enough airbag actuators to meet their own demand of new vehicle sales as well as helping to make replacements for Takata. 

I am unsure what you think Subaru UK can do to speed this up.  This recall has nothing to do with Subaru UK or Subaru the Manufacturer. We don't make the airbags. We can only fit what Takata send us. We are entirely in their hands.

Regards 

Simon 
  4. Hi Sean 

Thank you for your email reply. 

As I explained in my last letter, this recall has nothing to do with Fuji Heavy Industries or Subaru.  The affected airbags are all manufactured by Takata.  We are entirely in their hands as to the speed in which we receive airbags.  This has affected 50.2 million vehicles world wide with Manufacturers such as Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Daimler, Dodge, Ford, GMC,  Honda, Infiniti, Lexus, Mazda, Mercedes - Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Toyota and Volkswagen.  Although this recall has only affected 10,500 Subaru vehicles in the UK it is only the passenger airbag, so the vehicle can still be driven even though the front passenger seat can not be used.   

At a recent worldwide Motor Industry summit it was decided between the Manufacturers and the insurance industry that the passenger airbag could not be disconnected or turned off as this would invalidate your vehicles insurance however providing you follow the guidelines as set out by VOSA/DVSA not to use the front passenger seat then your insurance will not be invalidated, however I would suggest that you speak to them directly for clarification. 

Initially the number of airbags being delivered to Dealers has only been 1 a month, but this number will start to increase during the next few months.  Obviously we will try to help our loyal customers where possible.  If you could let me know which dealer you purchased your Subaru from and if you could let me have a copy of your full Subaru Service history, then I will approach the manufacturer to see if they can help speed up the supply of an airbag actuator for you. 

Unfortunately Subaru UK will not authorise or pay for a hire, rental or courtesy car for you. 

I look forward to receiving your service history. 

Regards 

Simon 

Simon 

Toyota are exactly the same, my wifes Yaris was in for a service and MOT a month ago, said that it was due a recall for the passenger airbag, was told I would get phoned when the airbag was in stock so it could get done... still haven't heard, it's going back in on monday as the alternator belt or pulley is making a hell of a racket, so will chase it up then!

• Like 1

On 1 March 2016 at 8:04 AM, Gambit said:
14 hours ago, Sandals said:

Toyota are exactly the same, my wifes Yaris was in for a service and MOT a month ago, said that it was due a recall for the passenger airbag, was told I would get phoned when the airbag was in stock so it could get done... still haven't heard, it's going back in on monday as the alternator belt or pulley is making a hell of a racket, so will chase it up then!

It's correct mate the 55 plate I have hasn't even got a booking date yet that was two months ago when I rang up to get it in. They also confirmed it was one a month because of the short supply of parts. And like you have been told not to use the passenger seat. but I don't mind I don't sit in that seat. :wink: But joking aside I think it's been poor from Subaru's side of things on dealing with this. 

Hi mate, you should do what I doing, get on to Subaru (uk) here their  number 0844 6626612.

if we all give them a call, they may do something to help us !!!

You need to find where u are on there list or try another dealer. 

When they call make sure you are free to take your car in, otherwise you move farther down the list !!

• Like 1

Its affecting 10's of millions of cars, seems to be affecting most manufacturers, 

List from america (but seem to be going world wide now) with some models to put it into perspective,

Acura

BMW (3 series world wide, 2000-2006, roughly 500k units a year so 3million cars)

Chrysler

Dodge

Ford

GM

Honda (civic 2001-2005)

Infiniti

mazda

nissan

subaru

Toyota

This is odd I had my 55 plate blob air-bag recall done early on in January, I got the letter through the door then a week or so later rang my nearest dealer and was booked in straight away at my own convenience for a few days after I rang and all was done within a few hours car was ready to pick up no hassle or waiting lists to be put in.