Lee Lee

Hi all

Just bought my first Scooby.  It's a 94 wrx sti with super low mileage. Was brilliant on test drive. However, it's just started holding back a bit almost like a miss fire in the higher gears under acceleration 😈

Any ideas guys ??? ☺

I haven't had a chance to look yet. I bought it the day before my holiday and it started doing it on way to the airport......I'm currently sitting in canary Islands writing this 😊

Just getting some ideas for when I get back mate

Ha ha nice. Because it's a classic you can do a self code check to see if the ecu has logged any error codes. Doesn't need to go to a garage and pay £60+ for some chap to do it. There is a guide in the forum explain how to do it and it shows all the error codes if you do have any stored. For your issue first thoughts would be spark plugs, coils, boost solenoid or even a possible air leak. What mods does it have and has it been mapped?

• Like 2

Welcome!

Its an import?  What fuel are you running it on?  I would give it a FULL service.  Air filter, fuel filter and plugs could all be simple solutions. If not, least you can cross them off and always nice to do anyway.  Def go over the vac hoses and replace any hard brittle ones.  

Further from that as previous really, code check etc.  Make sure all the hose clips are good quality and tight on to the turbo and under tmic.    

Let us know how you get on.  Enjoy you holiday.

• Like 1

Yeah cheers I'll definitely do that once I'm back.

I did put normal unleaded in it when I first got it. Once it started playing up I filled it super unleaded, but was only the last 50-60 miles tho. I was hoping it was just that but won't know until I've filled up again.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll report back once I've looked at it 😊

On Monday, July 04, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Lee Lee said:

Yeah cheers I'll definitely do that once I'm back.

I did put normal unleaded in it when I first got it. Once it started playing up I filled it super unleaded, but was only the last 50-60 miles tho. I was hoping it was just that but won't know until I've filled up again.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll report back once I've looked at it 😊

Just got from holiday put new BKR8EIX plugs in. Unfortunately it's still acting the same and now the check engine light intermittently comes on for few mins and then just goes off 😠😠😠😠

Welcome back from holiday, now back to work :)

Try as scoobyghost suggested, you can get the car to flash the error codes to you if stored, a bit like morse code

Edited by Mark D
Forgot to add quote

2 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Try as scoobyghost suggested, you can get the car to flash the error codes to you if stored, a bit like morse code

Yeah I looked into that. Couldn't find link on here but did Google it. I seems very confusing, but will give it a go to tomorrow and will post my findings

I suspect your problem is fuel related and not anything else as its a too much coincidance that after putting standard fuel you got the problem.

Any subaru that has a turbo should not be run on standard unleaded fuel. standard unleaded fuel is for emergency use only and you should not be running the car on boost ie keep it below 3k rpm. use Shell Unleaded Nitro + or Tesco 99. I personally run most of the time Tesco 99.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Scoobyghost said:

Those plugs are not the best for the car. You want pfr6b or pfr7b. I'll find the link for the ecu check.

If you definitely think they'll make a difference then I'll change them tomorrow and see whether that helps 😊

On Saturday, July 09, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Mark D said:

OK just read the codes and it was showing two ....... 11 the crank position sensor and 14 fuel injector no 1.

I reset the system and it's only showing 11 now, so I'm guessing it's the crank position sensor 😕

Is this an easy job ??? 

Crank sensor is directly above the crank pulley under the alternator...

bottom left in this pic

703d8cf1362540d221140bc0e31ddf23.jpg

They can get a bit corroded and be a pita to get out so give it a spray with plus gas or wd40 and try not to crack anything .

It's also possible that if the engine has detected exessive knock, misfire or a fueling issue the ecu might reduce the timing enough to think the crank sensor is faulty.

If it's a unmapped jdm you should only use 99 ron fuel in the UK as the classic jdms are mapped for the higher octane fuel over there . If you've been using lower octane it normally takes a tank full of the good stuff to get back to normal.

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

1 hour ago, savage bulldogs said:

Crank sensor is directly above the crank pulley under the alternator...

bottom right in this pic

703d8cf1362540d221140bc0e31ddf23.jpg

They can get a bit corroded and be a pita to get out so give it a spray with plus gas or wd40 and try not to crack anything .

It's also possible that if the engine has detected exessive knock, misfire or a fueling issue the ecu might reduce the timing enough to think the crank sensor is faulty.

If it's a unmapped jdm you should only use 99 ron fuel in the UK as the classic jdms are mapped for the higher octane fuel over there . If you've been using lower octane it normally takes a tank full of the good stuff to get back to normal.

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

OK that's not too bad cheers mate.

I've seen them listed on eBay as crank cam sensors......are they the same thing ??

After resetting the codes, sometimes you would have to drive the car for so and so miles and start the engine so many times before certain other codes will show so check again later, maybe that other code will reappear

48 minutes ago, Mark D said:

After resetting the codes, sometimes you would have to drive the car for so and so miles and start the engine so many times before certain other codes will show so check again later, maybe that other code will reappear

My thoughts exactly. ...... done about 50 miles today and will recheck it tomorrow 😊

• 2 weeks later...