wiring usb issues :S

So I've got a 1994 impreza and the cigarette lighter socket has never worked since i got it. I adapted my own charger by wiring a duel usb socket with the wire going through to the Battery with a fuse on it. It all worked fine for a few days then it just stopped working so i investigated and i found the usb socket was smoking abit but the fuse had not been blown.

If anyone electrically minded can help me out that would be great as i need my phone charger for long journeys and my road angel system runs off it.

just buy a double or 2 single 12V usb car chargers & wire them directly from fused supply ideally acc switched.. Just buy reasonably decent branded ones not 99p junk.

if you just added a double usb socket to a single charger then it probably overloaded it.

Circuit for converting 12V to 5V usb is quite simple & board inside the cigarette adaptors is small & easily removed & custom mounted if wanted .