EJ20G differences, can someone explain please?

Paul_JJ

Hi I have and EJ20G impreza Engine in  my JDM forester, I was just wondering which one is that - as there are 3 different variations?

Can someone explain please and provide the pics ideally to explain which one is which? I can upload my engine picture if needed as well. None of these state my forester, but mine is rather a very rare JDM version, with the Impreza Engine and the gearbox .

EJ20G

EJ20G engines fall into 3 categories:

1. Rocker-style HLA EJ20G usage
  • Legacy RS 89-93*Legacy RS-RA 89-93
  • Legacy GT 89-93

Power output ranges from 197 bhp (147 kW; 200 PS) @ 6000 rpm and 260 Nm for the GT to 220 PS (162 kW; 217 bhp) @ 6400 rpm and 270 Nm for the RS versions. Engines can be identified by coil on plug, and with 2 M6 bolts per coil and valve covers with 4CAM 16VALVE and horizontal lines above and below the plug holes. All these engines have the air-to-water intercooler setup (chargecooler) and oil squirters.

2. Bucket-style HLA EJ20G usage

Power output ranges from 220 PS @ 6000 rpm and 260 Nm for the WRX Wagons to 275 PS @ 6500 rpm and 319 Nm for the WRX STI Version II. Engines can be identified by coil on plug with 1 M8 bolt per coil and valve covers with 4CAM 16VALVE and horizontal lines above the plug holes. Generally these engines all have the slanted intercooler. Some engines may not have HLA buckets but solid buckets with shims underneath. These engines also feature lighter valves, the intake valves are marked INKO and the exhaust valves are marked EXKO. The standard HLA valves are I252 and E283 respectively. All WRX Wagon engines and automatic sedan engines came with a TD04 with 90 deg elbow, all manual WRX sedans including STI versions had a TD05 with 90 deg elbow

3. Shim-under-bucket style EJ20K usage
  • Impreza wrx sti MT 97~98
  • Impreza WRX sti wagon MT 97~98
  • JDM wrx 96~97

Power output is 280 PS @ 6800 rpm for the Japanese versions and 300 PS for the v3 sti with vf23 Engines can be identified by smooth valve covers, plug leads and a wasted spark coil in the middle of the intake manifold. also manifold is red utilizing ihi ball Bering turbo unit ether vf22 vf23 or vf24 these engines have die cast pistons

In short, none of the above is the exact specification but a cobbling together of different bits, As ours were some of the 1st off the production line it appears that they just used what ever was lying around at the time, I presume they were on the cusp of going from g to k when they assembled ours

Mines is also a 'g' engine but has the the smooth valve covers and the coil pack in the middle like the v3/4 impreza

It also has a square intercooler and front entry td04 where as the leggy has a air to water cooler and the impreza has a slanty i/c with top entry turbo.

Couldn't say if ours have the hla or shims underneath as I've never pulled the engine apart.

Always fun when trying to get parts 😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

is a minefield with even impreza spec tbh as v1 to v4 uk , usdm and the two major jdm versions (wrx and sti ) all have different cams, pistons and deck type .

The main way to identify the differences for most (non sti performance) parts is from the phase type .

V1 & v2 (phase 1) have single coil packs on top of each spark plugs and a top entry turbo .

V3 & v4 (phase 1.5) have 1 coilpack in the centre of the inlet manifold with ht leads to each spark plug and a front entry turbo .

V5 & V6 (phase 2) have a single coilpack offset on the inlet manifold, ht leads with a front entry turbo .

With imprezas the full engine and model code generally give you a idea of the engines spec regarding internals but that's only if the engines the original untouched unit .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

OK thank you guys! Can you put up some pics of different engines - as a reference -) as they say a picture is worth a million words or something like that!

Mines has a coilpack right in the middle.

P.S.

I do have loads of questions in regards to the sensors, will start a new thread on that, basically I'm still fighting with the gearbox error code 25 and I assume this is related to one of the sensors or the wiring... So I plan to replace the sensors 1 by 1 and try to eliminate the problems.

There's not many wires attached to the manual gearbox on my classic, check the black and white plugs under the tmic for corrosion on the pins and breaks in the insulation [emoji6]

P.s coilpack in the middle means it's based on a v3 /v4 phase 1.5 impreza [emoji106]

This error code is related to some other sensor and linked via ECU, probably TPS or MAP, or crank sensor - as this is speed related - there are 2 speed sensors in the gearbox, mines an auto by the way so it gets a lot of info from engine sensors.

Is impreza V3/V4 phase - has good reliability or any known issues? Can you show me the example of such cars and full engine description please?

The plugs under the TMIC has been checked no corrosion, very good condition, silicone has been applied! There isn't any rust on the earth bolt under the TMIC. Also I found it strange that the TMIC has no ground wire as my Toyota used to have one -)

I think V3/v4 imprezas do tend to suffer from piston slap a bit more than most other versions and I'd read somewhere that it was due to subaru changing the piston material . Dunno how much truth is in that though but my old v3 uk was quite "slappy" when cold and when I stripped it down I just assumed it was due to being a open deck ?

I think a google of the model and trim code would give the most accurate discription . As I've only ever stripped 2 engines , my current v1 jdm sti and the previous v3 uk .

On the whole there's not a great deal of difference between the v1 to v4 long block ( crank thrust position and inlet manifold stud patterns are the same ) so they're interchangeable if you use the inlet, fuel rails and auxiliaries off the car your fitting the engine to.

The sti versions from v1 onwards have forged pistons , more agressive cams and mls headgaskets . Which handle and make more power when remapped than the UK or wrx spec internals. I think the foz has different profile cams compared to the impreza classic of the same version to make better low down torque.

There's a few pics of the v1jdm and v3 uk engines on my sticky build thread on here that might help you a bit but otherwise a good googling might be the only way to find what the exact spec is of your foz lump. [emoji6]

V3/4 skirt length changed by all accounts, anyway mine slaps like a !Removed! till the oil is up to temp, gas done ever since I've owned her so I'm not that worried

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah my old UK used to be a bit of a "!Removed!" when cold and the chairman of scooby city owns a v3 uk turbo with over 200k running 320hp as a daily driver. So it's not a major issue and not necessarily just a v3/v4 problem as other versions do suffer too .

Hell my forged cdb sounds like Peter pans crocodile till it's warm [emoji23]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...