Rocker cover gasket. DIY job?

Hey guys,

As some of you know, recently fitted a decat up-pipe second time around with one from good ol' @savage bulldogs. Exhaust leak is all sorted and works perfectly fine, altho now the rocker cover gasket just above where the up-pipe sits has started leaking. Not sure whether something has shifted slightly when trying to man-handle the old up-pipe out or when I jacked up the engine slightly as there is no evidence of it leaking before.

So now there is a small amount of oil that seeps out and goes onto the up-pipe and obviously burns away, thankfully it's only a very small amount so it doesn't smoke very much, more the smell gets in the cabin when stationary!

Is replacing the gasket an overly difficult task? Potentially something me and my mate can do on my driveway in an afternoon?

Cheers! :afro:

Easily a drive way job. Fiddly as hell and you'll fill the swear jar but get it up on ramps and you'll be fine. Most difficult part is getting the gasket to stay in place when refitting the cover. I used a little dab of grease to hold it steady. I'd recommend replacing all associated gaskets so plug seals, half moons and the rubbers for the bolts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scoobyghost said:

Easily a drive way job. Fiddly as hell and you'll fill the swear jar but get it up on ramps and you'll be fine. Most difficult part is getting the gasket to stay in place when refitting the cover. I used a little dab of grease to hold it steady. I'd recommend replacing all associated gaskets so plug seals, half moons and the rubbers for the bolts.

Yeh I can get the full gasket set from import car parts... found a guide that says to use a gasket sealant as well, that should hold the gasket in place?

It's certainly an experience. Just take your time and if it gets too frustrating walk away, have a brew and come back to it. Think I took 4 hours of !Removed! about walking back and forth. You get the cover back on then realise you've still got to refit the intake system 😅😅

• Like 1

Glad the slip jointed up pipe sorted the upipe leak [emoji106]

If you use silicone to hold the new gaskets in don't use to much , cos it might ouze out on the inside and block a oil gallery. Don't over tighten the cam cover bolts ,put them all in first and tighten them equally.

If a change of plugs is due soon it would probably be worth doing those at the same time [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 2

If using oem gasket set I would not use silicone & if do use a quality gasket silicone neatly & minimal application. I've done 2 engine builds directly due to diy sump & rocker silicone use so be careful with the stuff as once gasket seated & clamped silicone got no where go besides outer or inner edge of gasket & in time these bits of silicone break off & work through oil passages & are very good at blocking them .
I only use oem or blueprint gaskets, most others more hassle than the small saving in price worth .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mr B said:

If using oem gasket set I would not use silicone & if do use a quality gasket silicone neatly & minimal application. I've done 2 engine builds directly due to diy sump & rocker silicone use so be careful with the stuff as once gasket seated & clamped silicone got no where go besides outer or inner edge of gasket & in time these bits of silicone break off & work through oil passages & are very good at blocking them .
I only use oem or blueprint gaskets, most others more hassle than the small saving in price worth .

So Genuine Subaru gaskets and nothing else? Would a little grease be better to hold it in place like Scoobyghost suggested? I take it that grease poses significantly less risk?

I prefer oem or blueprint as quality is far far better & they don't leak, if use cheaper pattern ones you run risks of hassle with poor fit & light leaks .
Blueprint can be found cheap if shop around, even oem subaru comes up cheap at times .  Hard to beat oem gasket & seals for stuff like this.

Lightly greasing them holds in place & helps them smoothly bed in as bolts tightened.
Review manual for your specific model for any finer points .

• Like 2

Just re read my half cut post from yesterday [emoji5] and I wasn't suggesting to just use sealant . Just not to use 2 much sealant if you do use some to hold the oe gaskets and half moons in situ .

It might be worth checking that you haven't disturbed the turbo oil feed or oil drain pipe too , as they're both in the area of the upipe and up pipe to head bracket [emoji6]

9 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

Just thought it might save you a few quid .

Doubt they'd fit though as he bought them for his 93 v1 wagon but never got round to fitting them .

Yeh i think they are slightly different... Thanks anyway mate, I can get the full kit from ICP for 50 quid delivered so not too bad. Only thing now tho is I got a CEL after I did the resistor fix since i removed the temp sensor. Comes up as a P0031 which comes up as "Front oxygen (A/F) sensor heater circuit low input"... is this the one in the headers just before the up-pipe... if so, that's right where the oil is leaking so that may have damaged it. Or, read online that it's sometimes referred to as the AFR sensor, could my new fuel pump cause that?

Didn't realise your was a newage, unfortunately I don't know much about the up pipe pre cat and extra sensor as I've only ever owned classics.

A friend decated his 04 wrx and did say something about a resistor mod that got rid of the eml light but he chose to have a remap and have it mapped out instead .

8 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Didn't realise your was a newage, unfortunately I don't know much about the up pipe pre cat and extra sensor as I've only ever owned classics.

A friend decated his 04 wrx and did say something about a resistor mod that got rid of the eml light but he chose to have a remap and have it mapped out instead .

Yeh the resistor mod worked because it was a different error code that came up before, can't remember the code but it was for a "temperature sensor". I'll need to double check it all once I've replaced the rocker cover gasket, just annoying I'm working a lot the next few weeks so just gonna have to use the wife's car :/