Bargain of the week?

TomB

I've been wanting to upgrade my black slanty intercooler to something a bit bigger, but don't want front mount due to my ARC intake, and don't want to chop the engine bay around to fit a newage. I war told that an STi slanty wax the best bet, but that they're rare to find. 

Well, I've justy got one, for the huge price of £12!!!!! It's serviceable add it is, but could do with the finds being replaced at some point. All I need now is the correct pipe for it and I stick it on. A good deus work! 

$_1.JPG

I dunno how much more efficient the phase 1 sti tmic are but they're definitely rare and that's a bargain bud [emoji41]

On the v3/v4 sti tmic the ally "y" hard pipe is much better flowing that the plastic one on uk and wrx's. Try looking for a phase 1 tmic silicone "y" pipe from samco, viper performance ect . As these will probably be better flowing than the standard uk or wrx version y pipe

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

I've looked it up and apparently when the hardpipe is fitted it gives just over 56% more flow over the wrx unit. That can't be bad! Hope I can get a bargain there, too :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm having trouble finding an ally y pipe. The cooler didn't come with any fittings unfortunately, but i don't know if the pipe to cooler pieces will fit the STi. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'd imagine that a ally hard pipe would be hard to find as they stopped fitting the slanty sti tmic in early 96 (v2).

I'm fairly sure that the tmic to y pipe bits will fit the sti tmic . The uk/wrx ones will fit the sti tmic on the v3/v4 shape like the pic bellow .2ee7f800ba30507e8b3e0ed302dba5c9.jpg

The v3/v4 uk /wrx tmic has a small bore plastic y pipe which is very restrictive and prone to cracking over time. Most upgrade the plastic y pipe for a bigger bore silicone y pipe to help them flow better .

Maybe you'd be better off buying a silicone y pipe for your current tmic and try swapping the y pipe to tmic bits over . That way if your existing tmic bits don't fit the sti tmic you can upgrade the y pipe on the original tmic. If you do swap the bits over to the sti tmic try to source some new gaskets to lessen the chance of boost leak once refitted [emoji6]

The V2 doesn't have a y pipe. It's a single entry unit with a long hard pipe section. I haven't got any part of the connectors I could fit a silicone part to, unfortunately. 

download.jpg

Although my v1 had the original tmic in the boot when my brv bought it I never saw the underside of it . So wasn't aware that they didn't have a y pipe like all other classic, bug ,blob and hawk tmic's but at least that explains why I've never seen a dyno graph of a v1/v2 scooby running over 300hp. As the y pipe design must be more efficient.

What's under your standard slanty cooler then ?

Is there a bigger bore silicone pipe upgrade made for it ?.

Well, after reading these articles, the STi came out reasonably well. I'm not after huge power - 300hp would be sufficient in a lightish car, and I'd like to keep the car as original as possible. I'll be fine polishing the inside and outside of the pipe, and fitting as large a silicone connector as possible. The cooler itself may have to be sent for refurbishment, and I believe the company can upgrade the internals to a more modern design. 

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=TopMount-Trial-Part-One&A=1618

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=TopMount-Trial-Part-Two&A=1619

Thanks guys, I've managed to find the hardpipe now. Hopefully it'll be coming today. I'm hoping the connections are the same, otherwise it'll be a hunt for silicone bits next. 

If it fits first time, would I need a remap on it, or is it not worth it until I do injectors and fuel pump? I wouldn't have thought it necessary, but I'd rather be safe. 

Thanks again! 

I have come to the conclusion that this car hates me. Nothing is ever easy on it. 

After weeks of searching I found the intercooler, then after another few weeks, the hardpipe. Guess what, they dont fit! The holes for the bolts don't match. Not even close. So, either I've got the wrong cooler, or wrong pipe. Aaaggghhhhh!!! 

DSC_0481.JPG

DSC_0480.JPG

I'm not sure. It was sold on Facebook so there's not much comeback. It cost me 3 times more than the cooler! I'm going to get the old cooler out tomorrow and see if the new one fits in place. If it does and the pipes line up underneath, I may look into having the pipe welded to the cooler. I can't see me removing it any time soon, so can't really see a downside. I can always bend a silicone pipe from the turbo to the hardpipe. 

40 minutes ago, matt said:

you trying to mount a v1 / v2 tmic onto a newer lump?

No mate, in trying to upgrade the standard WRX slanty cooler for an STi slanty cooler. They're much more effective, mainly due to the larger end tanks and the alloy pipe.  I want to keep it as standard as possible, and don't want to chop bits around for a newer tmic, and don't want a fmic.

Fussy I know!!!