hesistant acceleration

W444AJD

Hi All,

My lovely hawkeye wagon (2.0 160bhp) is occasionally a bit hesistant accelerating, there's no warning lights on the dash but it's annoying and keep having to drop down gears to get moving.

My first plan is to change air and fuel filters (oil and oil filter was done about 1000miles ago), then I guess spark plugs? then it need to think about MAF and/or throttle position sensor? any other thoughts?

For the fuel filter - I cant see fuel filter in the engine bay...so is it located inside the fuel tank?

Thanks for any help,,,

anyone got any thoughts on this? engine code is EJ204.

air filter is clean - cant find the fuel filter though?! is in located within the fuel tank on these models? Going to try some Redex today and V Power fuel to see if that helps.

tried some Shell vpower and redex - hasn't helped.

Will get sparks and fuel filter done anyway because not got any recent history showing they have been done.

How can I tell if its got AVCS? engine code is EH204L - according to google it probably does have AVCS - so this could be the issue?

It will take the full tank for the redex to work/remove any crap... you usually get two lots from one bottle of redex so may be worth doing it on two tanks back to back.

The turbo model of your car has AVCS... not sure if the non-turbo does

If it has avcs it really could be that depending on miles and service intervals etc, I've had running issues with mine hawk wrx  since I've had it maybe 8ish months and I've only now just traced it to the avcs with a handy tip from savs b'dog, if you lift out the coolant over flow bottle (if it's in same place as wrx) and take out the 4 bolts holding the cam belt cover on on the passenger side, you will see your pulleys behind it, if it is an avcs pulley at the top then you have it

still not car my car back! He found a couple faults when he ran diagnostics.  First plan is to renew MAP sensor (manifold pressure) and clean up the throttle body.  Apparently getting hold of the MAP sensor part is proving difficult though...any good parts suppliers? without having to go through Subaru which I assume would be costly.

So I got my car back - and it's running sweet again!

New plugs (according to the history they were last done in 2010 at 36000 miles, so well overdue), new MAP sensor, cleaned throttle bottle and egr valve.  Then an ECU reset.  Hopefully that will be it for a while now! £268 all in.

• 2 weeks later...

so that's 10 days and about 400 miles since I've had the car back, so far so good - the symptoms have not come back. [touch wood]

using Shell V Power for now, but will probably switch back to supermarket 95 RON again, with maybe every 4th or 5th tank with some V Power.  What do you guys run your N/A engines on?

I run my n/a legacy on vpower, got a Shell drivers card so get a bit more points anyway so 'some' money back.

Had problems using fuel that comes with added ethanol (p0420) so just stick to vpower. If you end up using regular and keep buying fuel cleaners it'll probably work out the same anyway

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi, I've been having this issue on and off.

A bottle of red ex will clear but not for long. Just wondering have you had the issue since? 

On 9/6/2016 at 2:06 PM, W444AJD said:

so that's 10 days and about 400 miles since I've had the car back, so far so good - the symptoms have not come back. [touch wood]

using Shell V Power for now, but will probably switch back to supermarket 95 RON again, with maybe every 4th or 5th tank with some V Power.  What do you guys run your N/A engines on?

Hi, I've been having this issue on and off.  A bottle of red ex will clear but not for long.

Just wondering have you had the issue since?