Brakes Squealing/Squeaking

Razz311

My front brakes have been squealing for the past few weeks and i just can seem to get rid of it. 

The front left squeals whilst braking and the front right whilst moving.

I have taken the calipers off on both sides then Cleaned and greased the back of the pads, both sides of the shims, the pad clips, the piston face, the caliper "Fingers", and the sliding pins/bolts. I have done this once with copper slip and then again twice with brake lube and it has slightly improved it each time but didn't take long to get back to where it was before. 

Anyone got any ideas what else it may be or what i can to to fix it as i have completely run out of ideas short of changing the pads (which might help as they are a cheap make)

Brakes are a standard one pot caliper 

Looks like i'm going to have to, weird thing is its been fine for months and now i'm getting all this hassle. 

I'll grab some new pads tomorrow if no one thinks of anything else.

Should have some thin metal strips that sit behind the pads. Get some grease on them make sure its brake grease thats ok to use on rubbers. I used to use copper grease until I was once told the copper eats away at the rubber seals around the pistons. But some grease around then will help. :wink: 

But I normally put a bit on the back of the pad and on the thin metal part always gets rid of the sequel :)  

All the metal shims are behind the pads and have been greased with brake lube but the squealing continues, Also re did it by cleaning everything off and then re applying and its still the same.

This really has me puzzled me as i thought doing what i did would have solved it.

Just thought of one thing I've had problems in the past with and that's whether the pads are glazed (think that's the term) and may be try giving them a bit of a thrashing or more accurately a number of hard stops in succession? I know if you don't bed in some of the more expensive pads right this kind of thing can happen, just not sure if it's for all pads. Just a thought and something easy to try. Just be careful if you start getting brake fade, pick you roads wisely :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

are they new pads thats made the noise from fitting or old that just developed the noise,if new i would say their not bedding in to the disk right,are the disks in good nick,buy another set cheap pads and see if their same,if no noise then you was unlucky and got a set bad pads,risk you take with cheap pads,i use to use cheap pad all time in my blob,allways work't great but 1 set i got i had to take back as little bits had chip't off the leading edge when i took them out the box.

Check the wear is the same on the inside and outer faces of the discs (same thickness ) .

Seeing as it does it while rolling, as well as when applying the brakes, it could be that one of the pistons isn't returning properly and constantly causing a pad to make contact with the face of a disc.

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

On 8/21/2016 at 8:30 PM, aucky said:

are they new pads thats made the noise from fitting or old that just developed the noise,if new i would say their not bedding in to the disk right,are the disks in good nick,buy another set cheap pads and see if their same,if no noise then you was unlucky and got a set bad pads,risk you take with cheap pads,i use to use cheap pad all time in my blob,allways work't great but 1 set i got i had to take back as little bits had chip't off the leading edge when i took them out the box.

They are old pads that have just started this, they were on the car when i brought it and i have done at least 5,000 miles with it since. 

On 8/22/2016 at 9:15 AM, Gambit said:

I did think about sticky piston last night meant to reply, but got doing something else :blush:

Could be possible, it only seems to happen after driving for a while, when setting off from cold it is fine. 

What would be the best way to check this. Want to try and get to the bottom of this before I start dropping money on parts that i don't need.

Which sort of brakes are they? If their the same as mine with the guide pins is any pons sezed,and this is probly obvious but with them being old pad have they wore down to the little pin thing that squeels to tell you your pads need changing 😃

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, aucky said:

Which sort of brakes are they? If their the same as mine with the guide pins is any pons sezed,and this is probly obvious but with them being old pad have they wore down to the little pin thing that squeels to tell you your pads need changing 😃

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

They are the same ones as yours, Single piston caliper that bolts to the guide pins. The pins feel tight but are not seized, they have been lubed well to try and sort this out..

And its not the wear indicator as these pads are so cheap they don't have one. :wacko:

Just replaced my front pads couple of weeks ago, squeeling like a beggar now when I brake lightly 😡

Might just be the pads, i know some pads just do this. But check everything is clean and then lubed up first (back of the pads, Shims, and caliper contact areas) as this should stop that from happening. 

(Unless your car wants to be as awkward as mine is being)

1 hour ago, Razz311 said:

They are old pads that have just started this, they were on the car when i brought it and i have done at least 5,000 miles with it since. 

Could be possible, it only seems to happen after driving for a while, when setting off from cold it is fine. 

What would be the best way to check this. Want to try and get to the bottom of this before I start dropping money on parts that i don't need.

If you take the pad's out and the pistons really need to be forced back in like real pressure to force the pistons back you will know that's the problem. You can work them free but from experience is will come back. Check for any split rubber around the pistons too, will almost course issue at some point. It's the easy way to work it out if that's the problem or might be early signs but working them might give you a few months if nothing else all worth a try if it's free :wink: 

sorry when I say work them means two people one to pump the brake and one to hold them back to see if any stick. then keep pumping the brake and pulling the pistons back see if they free up. But from last post good sign pads will course it :wink:

Never had to wind back pistons before, what would be considered a "Normal" force to wind them back in?

Everything looked ok when cleaning and greasing it all but i'll have a closer look when i get a chance.

Ok, stupid question time. So i ordered some new Pagid disks and pads from Euro car parts in the bank holiday sale (£85 in total was too good to pass up) and they arrived today. Opened the pads just to check they are correct and there are no metal shims included. Does this mean the pads don't require the shims or are they something you get separately? 

Take it your on 4 pots ? They just sit inside the caliper and the only thing holding them in is a pin at the top and bottom of the claiper and a metal clip on top,

They can be bought from here

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/impreza-ver-4-onwards-type-r/138-subaru-4-pot-pad-fitting-kit.html

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I used the old shims in the end as they looked ok. 

I can report most the squealing has gone, just a little bit while braking every now and then. But hopefully that will fade away as the pads bed in.

Not sure if the new disk were needed but the old ones were definitely used well.