brembo brakes

aucky

hi guys,can anyone tell me do Brembo front and rear brakes off a blob or hawk fit straight on a 08-10 hatch wrx,had couple people say they don't and a couple say they do and if i get them off a 04 blob then disks will fit as well as they have 5-100 stud pattern,is that right? anyone fitted them to a hatch,i have been looking for brembos off the hatch sti as their a straight swap but they don't come up very often but plenty about off blob and hawks,don't want to spend all that and find they wont go on,thanks guys.

I think the hatch ones do fit as when I was speaking to Alyn at "Asperformance" about pads for my classic he asked if they were bug/blob or hatch brembos that I'm running.

Give him a bell as he'll know if they're a straight fit and if not he'll probably sell the bit's needed to make them fit.

thanks guys,so what i have found out is

front,brembo calipers from a blob,hawk or hatch will fit straight on to the wrx you ideally want the bolts as well but can order them if not supplied with calipers,when ordering disks you need to order 2004 sti disk,also need to change the brake lines as well and your good to go up front.

rear is more a problem,brembo calipers from a blob,hawk are not a straight fit you need to find somewhere that sells an adapter braket for them to fit or have someone make you one.calipers from a hatch sti are a straight fit,just need to trim dust cover to fit disks you need to have them redrilled with 5-100pcd or find some muliti fit pcd one's but i have not had a look to see what brands makes do them yet

so is it worth messing about with rears or just have Brembo fronts and crap calipers rear,or big brake conversion front like k-sports or something up front and crap calipers rear,personally i would like nice brakes that are the same all round so think the big brake k-sport thing is not for me as it would bug me every time i look at the crap rear calipers,so i think in the end i will go with the brembos all round when they come up from a hatch sti.

There can be a few more complications than just fitting mounting brackets to make rear brembos fit on a wrx newage or classic .

As the newage sti's run R180 hubs which use a different size handbrake "drum" and shoes in the center of the disc . So make sure you double check the rear disc type Is compatible for yours before buying the rears bud .

I think some say the longevity of k sports ain't that good so most go with the ap set up when going "aftermarket " their supposed to be good but not cheap .

I run brembos with godspeed discs and pfc pads on the front .

Blobeye wrx 2 pot calipers with conversion brackets ,to fit their larger dia (godspeed) discs and pagid pads on the rear with Goodrich braided lines all round .

My v1 originally had 2 pot fronts and single pot rears which were kinda kamakzi @ 330 hp . So I haven't got much to compare my current set up too but with no abs it smokes all 4 if you stamp on the stop peddle in the dry .

Do you guys know what size the handbrake is on the 09 WRXS hatch? 170mm or 190mm. There is so much conflicting info on this subject. 

I have a set of 2 pots for the rear and a bracket. Just trying to get the right discs sorted (290mm with a 5x100pcd?) Don't want to buy the wrong ones. 

Still trying to source some brembos for the front (gold or black they both work right?) or maybe even some Subaru 4 pots. Would the 4 pots use the standard discs (294mm) and brembos use 326mm?

Also I'd read that running brembos at the front with no upgrade on the rear would give a bad brake bias, do you think it will be ok with Subaru 2 pots at the back instead of the brembos all round?

I'm not too clued up on the newage fitment but was fairly sure that the newage sti hatch has a different pcd to the hatch wrx ?

The likes of as performance or godspeed do sell handbrake shoe Conversion kits and either alyn or Ian will know the definite answers to all your braking questions . Afaik if you run the same hub type (ie r160 or R180 ) the shoes are the same size and in answer to the earlier disc dia question ... yes 4 pots run 298 mm discs and brembos run the 326mm discs, although Ian @ godspeed does sell brackets to convert the 4 pots to run larger dia discs .

I've seen plenty of scoobs running 2 pot "subaru" rears with big brakes up front (k sport ,ap's ,brembos ect ) without any bias issues , probably due to the small % of braking done by the rear compared to the front .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

I'm not too clued up on the newage fitment but was fairly sure that the newage sti hatch has a different pcd to the hatch wrx ?

This is correct

STI = 114x5

WRX = 100x5

is it not possible to get a larger rear wrx disc to suit the STI calipers.

One thing I would say is if you get the chance to drive a Hatch STI, 330s, TYPE UK PPP etc with the Brembo calipers, do so, as I found them to be very wooden with low feel - yes they pulled you up when you stood on them but I have more feel for what the brakes are doing on the RX than I did on the STI. At one point I thought the calipers had stuck so pulled them all off and ensure they were all free - which they were. 

I wasnt convinced the ratio between master cylinder and the calipers was correct but had to let the car go before I had got to the root of the issue.

If you fit rear brembos to the hatch wrx you have to buy sti disks and find a machine shop that will drill you the 5-100 pcd into them.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Or find a brand that do multi fitment with 5-114 and 5-100 already in them.

• 1 month later...

Got some gold brembos fitted to the front yesterday. Can't believe it...alloys don't fit over them. Running 18" GT1 7.5in 5x100 ET53. Despite the research I still got it wrong. Going to have to run with spacers which I'm not to happy about. Just thought I better give you the heads up that not all 18's fit like some threads out there suggest. 

• Like 1

thanks mate,i have just bought a set of 18" prodrive alloys of a subaru which was fitted with ap big brakes kit so sould be ok with them,i also have some 25mm spacers i got with them so if they dont fit then they never will :biggrin:

Interesting. Are they Prodrive GT1's? If so are they the ET53 or ET48. Think they come in both for 5x100. I've got 6mm spacers on at the moment and that is just clearing them and no more. All I had lying around. Probably get bigger ones. Question for you though about spacers. Do you need to use spriggot rings and extended wheel studs?

Not sure of model wheel here is a picture of them,they are 18" buy 8" et50 with 20mm spacers i thought my spacers was 25mm.i need to fit arch flares before i can fit them as their a bit whide for normal arch's.i guess you 6mm spacer you use your normal fitting,with wider spacers you bolt spacer on then put wheel on the bolts on the spacer.here picture of my spacer

0c7913d5c42e35e5e1516331a97d9367.jpg

18ff11f833bc2d1d7453b33a90f8e6e2.jpg

So what it just a straight swap for gold bermbos,what year disk did you use and do you need brake lines as well.one my calipers is shot so i need to get on with swapping mine,i have seen a set gold brembos but dont come with disk so will have to order new disk n brake lines if needed.

Yeah it was actually a very easy swap. Mine came off a 2005 blobeye and just bolted right up. Haven't got rears which seems to be the complicated part. I got a new set of discs from Ian at Godspeed. Just the same as what's on 2000-2004 sti's I think as they were 5x100 pcd. Think they are 326mm. Went for the g-hook ones. Don't think you need new hoses but I got some stainless ones on while I was in there. Old ones should work though I think. Calipers came with brand new set of PFC pads which seem really good. No noises when cold which I was worried about

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

• Like 1

I had a spacing issue when fitting my brembos on the front . Like you , I did my homework to make sure the et of my rota boosts would clear them .

According to the wonderful Web I'd be fine with a et48 but in the real world the design and profile of my rims ment I had about 1 mm clearance.

637d04e5265f51eb484af552bed663be.jpg

3mm spacers now give me just under 5mm clearance and put me on the limit for width ,so they're now flush with the front wings

• Like 1

Yeah it was actually a very easy swap. Mine came off a 2005 blobeye and just bolted right up. Haven't got rears which seems to be the complicated part. I got a new set of discs from Ian at Godspeed. Just the same as what's on 2000-2004 sti's I think as they were 5x100 pcd. Think they are 326mm. Went for the g-hook ones. Don't think you need new hoses but I got some stainless ones on while I was in there. Old ones should work though I think. Calipers came with brand new set of PFC pads which seem really good. No noises when cold which I was worried about

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

Looking good them mate.think i will take plung and get some gold Brembo now av seen them,thanks for info.

On 15/10/2016 at 4:01 PM, savage bulldogs said:

I think the hatch ones do fit as when I was speaking to Alyn at "Asperformance" about pads for my classic he asked if they were bug/blob or hatch brembos that I'm running.

Give him a bell as he'll know if they're a straight fit and if not he'll probably sell the bit's needed to make them fit.

Alyn is sorting my upgraded brakes for me next year, he was going to check what would fit think it's limited. If anyone knows he will 

• Like 1