Sensor identification

Hi folks,

As part of my ongoing GC8 renovation project (here) - I've found this sensor wiring, which I can't identify:-

IMG_5419_zpsglxkcqj7.jpg

IMG_5417_zpscbbzhcpi.jpg

The engine is (I believe, still learning) a V5/V6 STi mostly. The wiring is connected into the loom where the MAF wiring joins. There are no locations for a sensor to go on the intake anywhere that I can see. Plug is melted. 

Related to this I believe; is that the car has a hot idle problem - the idle will drop over time until the car stalls. runs fine on the throttle.

Any help greatly appreciated. I can take more pictures if it helps!

Adam

On 17/10/2016 at 10:50 AM, mattiekane said:

Might be air intake temp? Aftermarket intake may not have the hole so hasn't been fitted resulting in your hot idle issue

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks Mattie, yeah intake air temp was my first thought. The cable is two wires, blue/yellow and black/red I think. It's a separate plug to the MAF one; but connects to the loom in the same place.

Thanks

Adam

Ok so this sounds likely:- http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/threads/iat-sensor-on-v5-v6-sti-models.19852/

to quote:-

" On a 1999 or 2000 WRX / 2000 UK turbo or European GT turbo there is no IAT (Intake Air Temperature sensor) (stock location: snorkus, just above the right headlight).
This sensor is used by the v5/v6 STI only, this is why an STI ecu and a WRX / 2000 UK turbo or European GT turbo ECU are not swappable, same applies for the Apexi Power FC. "

My car is a WRX with STIv6 engine/drivetrain/interior.

So I guess I've got to locate the sensor, and solder in a new plug!