Frankenstein Impreza - AKA "The Souparu"

ScramCannon

37 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

That could be the oe air density sensor plug but I'd have to check mine when I get chance .

Afaik They don't have a air intake sensor as standard , I fitted a aftermarket one from jt inovations on mine in the fmic core to throttle body pipework when I had a mafless map done .

As this will give the correct reading for the temps entering the inlet .

Cool, thanks. The sensor location is definitely right next to the MAF, but the entire car has been built up from a variety of parts and models - so I can't be sure whether the sensor should be in the intake somewhere, externally etc.

I've had a quick look for engine bay loom diagrams for V2/3/4/5/6 STis without much luck - anyone?

Finally got the intake manifold off - mammoth!

IMG_5427_zps5hjgblh0.jpg

IMG_5429_zps3oi3xkyd.jpg

turbo looks great, zero play on the shaft (as it were). It's a TD05-20g.

IMG_5431_zpsmdhazwjj.jpg

Back of the valves look ok, annoyingly one of the intake manifold gaskets decided it no longer enjoyed life as I was taking it off though.

IMG_5434_zpsjxbtav0t.jpg

IMG_5435_zps8lvvuliz.jpg

Now to strip the manifold for paint.

On 10/11/2016 at 8:05 PM, Piggysniffer said:

Just read through thread, proper interesting this one !!

Did you ever find and fix what was the cause of the soup like oil ?

Thanks - hoping to really tidy up the car overall, iron out niggling issues; modify it subtly to my tastes.

The oil is still a mystery to some extent - it's almost certainly coolant that ended up in the sump, the car was empty of any water; and the sump contents were much greater than expected. Having drained the oil and put fresh in, filled the coolant and ran the car - it's doesn't seem to be losing water anywhere, and runs well (other than an ongoing hot-idle issue). It was sitting for 3 years before I took it - so it may be a small leak or headgasket that's let the water drain into an oil galley.

I'll be cleaning up various engine parts, replacing hoses, MAF etc. I'll put it back together and run it - as the car owes me very little at this point I'm not going to split the engine down at this point. If it pops so be it - gives me a chance to build a proper engine :-)

3 hours ago, Jay762 said:

nice clean garage there - wonder how long it will stay like that :wink:

Not all that long with this filthy old thing on there:-

IMG_5459_zpsacdbx3yc.jpg

IMG_5456_zpsfpohew6k.jpg

Stripped all the injector pipework and brackets off the manifold today. Seal faces for the injectors are mega crusty on all but one of them:-

IMG_5457_zpsqec3vaah.jpg

Will attack it with a wire brush prior to powder-coating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian said:

Lovely car! Thats a real good project you have to work on.

Thanks, it's a good project - as I've no specific requirement as to when I need it on the road; and it owes me very little money.

Currently planning to prep over the winter, and get it roadworthy for the spring :-)

So the manifold is off at the powder coaters - Vale Powder Coatings; should get an idea how it's turned out this week.

Coolant bottle lid and various brackets will be painted by them shortly too.

On order we have:-

Throttle body gasket,

New HKS filter element (rubbish I know, but might as well make use of what we have),

Stainless bolts for everything,

Clutch slave cylinder,

Intake Manifold phenolic spacers,

Intake manifold gaskets,

Intake pipe,

13 hours ago, GeoffLeggy said:

Dude, coming along nicely! Ill bring over some mafs with me soon just in case.  

Def send the injectors off for a clean while out.  I used http://injectortune.co.uk/

Cheers fella :-)

Mid-term plan is to move to 550s and a new fuel pump as I've got the 20g on there. There's every chance the bottom end will let go once I put it all back together and put some boost through it - I'm prepared for that eventuality!

More bits turned up:-

Lots of Mikalor clamps to replace the sketchy cheapy ones on all the pipework:-

IMG_5511_zpsxkdc1wbv.jpg

IMG_5512_zpssecurpda.jpg

New silicone is also on it's way.

Lots of stainless bolts too, so I refurbed the power-steering reservoir, some brackets in the 'bay and the coolant expansion tank:-

IMG_5506_zpsbtckxhks.jpg

IMG_5505_zpsumgr4l62.jpg

IMG_5510_zpseyex1y3i.jpg

And a cheeky STI horn button for the Momo :-)

IMG_5504_zpsn2mgkpss.jpg