New Member looking for a Spare Wheel!

cedarbrook63

Hello,  I've literally just joined this forum.  I recently traded in my 2010 2.0D for an ex-demo but effectively new 2015 2.0D automatic with all the bells and whistles except a spare wheel.  It came with 225/60/18 wheels and Bridgestone tyres.  I'm looking for a spare wheel to carry as I don't like or trust the injection foam repair system and I drive down to the Alps in the winter.  Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can buy an 18 inch space saving wheel or even a full size 18 inch steel wheel?  I took off my rear alloy today to see if it will fit in the well and it does! And the spare wheel compartment lid closes back down flush.  I can store the tools etc. under the spare wheel or inside it and there isn't much room for it to move about.  If I really have to, I will buy another alloy but it's an extravagance as a spare wheel.

Is it possible/legal/safe/madness to use a smaller wheel with a higher profile tyre to bring a 17" wheel up to the diameter of the 18" regular wheels on this car?

Thank you for any answers or suggestions.

Absolutely legal as far as I know to make the size up with higher walled tyre as a spare, I think ! your supposed to have matching tyre sizes in the same axle, but that can't happen with a space saver either so maybe that's not true

get a spacer saver with the same rolling radius but higher sidewall, smaller rim and that will get you where you need to be - Space savers are to be driven at reduced speed anyway so the uneven forces experienced working on the tyre due different tread patterns and grip (due to width) will not result in an excessive / dangerous amount of wear. Same goes for torsional strain on gearbox, diff etc - as a stop gap you will be going a lot slower than normal so will not be straining anything due to different tyres 

Just had a Clio fail the mot for having different sized tyres on the same axle, 55 and 65 profile, asked the mot guy if a car came in with a space saver on would it fail, absolutely he said, so the spacesaver is a blatant loophole in the law when being used on the road, it's like, it's ok to use an illegal tyre to get you  out of a jam, but then what can't you then use a spare tyre with less than adequate tread to get you out of a jam... Food for thought eh 😛