So my car went in for a service today , so yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to give my air filter a clean.

I have a Cosworth drop in dry filter . It's been in about a year now . and before when I've had cone filters on previous cars I've never bothered cleaning them before.

How often do you guys clean or replace yours? Because when I took it out the box it was the dirtiest filter I've ever seen it had tiny twigs grit and all kinds of crud in there I've never seen anything like it, i wish I took a pic . I should've done it months ago lol , now It's done the car feels much nicer too. But doe the filter get more dirty as it's an enclosed system ?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

I'm running the standard airbox minus the airbox resonator... I had a pipercross filter in for the best part of two years, and with the way it looked, it could have probably done another two years!! 

Do you still have the engine undertray on?

I'm still running a full under tray and the resonator still too . But I think it might be more the design of the cosworth as its rippled it traps the bigger bit instead of the falling to the bottom of the box. I think I've defiantly regained a few hp , but hopefully be going to a short ram system soon

12 hours ago, Tidgy said:

Pretty amazing to see what gets sucked in, imagine what would have happened if you didnt have a filter at all :o

Yeh, I always find it amazing when you see the big turbo drag cars where the turbo is completely exposed with no air filter! I know the chances of hoovering up crap is unlikely on a drag strip but still....

Pretty amazing to see what gets sucked in, imagine what would have happened if you didnt have a filter at all :o

Yeh, I always find it amazing when you see the big turbo drag cars where the turbo is completely exposed with no air filter! I know the chances of hoovering up crap is unlikely on a drag strip but still....

I know it's crazy and occasionally you see these street cars running open turbos I think I would be on my 4th motor this year if I was to do that

I use the same cosworth drop in filter. Just personal opinion but I class it as a 12 month 12k mile service item along with plugs. Mine didn't look too bad but I'm strict on servicing.

That's interesting so you just replace you don't bother cleaning? they are quite inexpensive really the drop in filters about £20 I mite just try an hks one in the spring as I prefer the dry type

Iirc I paid £37 for my panel filter. It may just be dirty looking and flow barely effected but for the sake of 40 a year I'll happily replace it knowing the cars breathing the best it can. If I'm spending £60/oil service every 3k I'm sure it won't hurt 😇

Just to add the Cosworth panel filter is a dry type filter. I'd never go for.or advise using an oily filter. Murders the MAF.
  • Like 1

A lil bit more than I thought , but your right that's why I do my plugs every year for the sake of £60 or whatever can save you a lot in the long run ..

Yes that's why I like the Cosworth it's just I might try the hks next time as that's a dry type to but doesn't have the ripples init like the Cosworth, now I've cleaned it it can stay till the spring then I will swap it I think.. I've had k & n filters before and I don't like the oil type and the ruin the maf. although I'm sure plenty of people run them with no issues but I'm not a fan . Which is a shame because the mishimoto short ram kit I had my eye on is an oil type filter :( and most kits are for the hatch

59 minutes ago, kershaw-330s said:

That's interesting so you just replace you don't bother cleaning? they are quite inexpensive really the drop in filters about £20 I mite just try an hks one in the spring as I prefer the dry type

Yeh I just replace because they are cheap... you're never gonna remove 100% of the dirt so I don't see the bother in trying!

• Like 1