Right, so I've a problem with my AVCR (has to be this, only logical step.) Don't know loads about these or how any wiring goes on them, so any help will be much appreciated.

Installed new radio, finally went on a little drive with it today going into work since installing and noticed my AVCR wasn't on. Put it down to being super cold at first, but then it never came on and I had a problem reaching full boost, only hitting about .7 bar. I got some video of this luckily. Checked all the vac lines, couldn't find anything loose, no pipes off. So same thing on the way home, but then randomly the AVCR then decides to pop on while I'm driving and boom, full 1 bar boost, all is right in the world (got video of this as well!) I'm guessing I might have a loose connection to the AVCR somewhere, maybe from when I installed the radio, but I have no idea what I'm looking for, or where. Any help? Can't upload the videos as don't have the right file type.

If all the functions we're working on the avcr before, you have to splice about 6 wires into the engine loom in order to make it work . If everything was working fine before, My guess would be that you've disturbed something when fitting the radio .

So start off by tracing the wires back from the avcr and check that everything is connected properly and any bare wires are insulated.

I have got a avcr manual which shows what pins from most ecu's you need to connect each avcr wire too . Let me know how you get on and if it's not a obvious loose wire, I'll dig it out and take a few pics .

6 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

If all the functions we're working on the avcr before, you have to splice about 6 wires into the engine loom in order to make it work . If everything was working fine before, My guess would be that you've disturbed something when fitting the radio .

So start off by tracing the wires back from the avcr and check that everything is connected properly and any bare wires are insulated.

I have got a avcr manual which shows what pins from most ecu's you need to connect each avcr wire too . Let me know how you get on and if it's not a obvious loose wire, I'll dig it out and take a few pics .

Yeah, everything was working before. Just the powe stopped suddenly on it after the install on the radio (did it in the dark and just shoved everything in) I'm thinking I just knocked a wire loose. I've got to pull it back out soon anyway when my red LEDs turn up to change the climate control over 😊👍🏻

The manual might come in handy if I can't find it. I'll let you know!

Cheers!

Got it sorted. Just a lose wire.

Anyways, I'm very very tempted to play with the boost settings (not a load, maybe just add .1 Bar, just a psi or two really so 16psi instead of 14.5 stock?). Any major advantages/disadvantages to doing so before I do it like will I blow the engine up running only 2 psi higher or will I gain enough to beat stock Evo my coworker has 🤔

Glad it was something simple .

I wouldn't suggest you increase the boost without having a way of monitoring afr / knock and be able to listen for det (Ie on a dyno ). Probably me being over cautious but engine builds ain't cheap .

Saying that , I've had a bit of a play with mine and set up the gear judge function and raised the boost above stock a bit . But my fueling and timing were set for 1.5 bar before I fitted the avcr .

Then once fitted i set it at 1 bar and tweeked the solinoid duty untill it was stable . The set the gear judge function and then raised it to 1.2 .

I knew the fueling was set for higher boost so I knew it wouldn't lean off and go bang [emoji6]

The mapper then upped the boost to 1.55 bar and tweeked the fueling /timing to suit on his dyno .

• Like 1

I've just followed the settings that it was on for A and put them on B with 1.1bar, but I haven't ran that yet, and probably won't. I don't think I'll get loads more whp out of the stock turbo anyways, was just hoping for a bit more torque. But yeah, that makes sense. I don't want to do an engine build at the moment if I don't have to, think my wife would kill me haha. Although I did think the AVCR was supposed to do that all for you when you entered in a boost number you wanted, unless I misread that?

Where is yours mounted by the way? Mines on the right side near the A pillar, but I'm thinking it MIGHT fit in where the ashtray is at? Although I have a DIVOT intercooler sprayer that I was thinking of putting there as that's currently on the centre console bit near my leg. I got the DEFI control box moved into the glovebox though, and was thinking putting it there, but I kinda want the option of being able to see it easily hence thinking it could fit where the ashtray is at if I remove that?

The avcr will make it easier to "map" the boost curve and once set up , the gear judge function will help keep the boost the same in every gear [emoji41] .

It's not capable of adjusting fueling and timing though , which is a shame for us but think they'd be a lot of mappers out of a job if it could [emoji6]

As for extra power and torque most standard turbos will make a extra 50 hp ish than what they left the factory with.

So a decent remap is about the best bhp for buck mod imo .

Obviously it depends on the model of scoob as to what max power a standard turbo will make but generally a sti will make 330hp and a wrx will make 260 hp with supporting mods and a remap on the standard turbos.

As for my position for the avcr it's just under the head unit in my classic .

c7e39df5dabaac399475ac65f584bcf3.jpg

• Like 1

Cool thanks for the help. I misunderstood what it was saying initially then.

Yeah I don't have many mods, just a cat back exhaust (really want to decat...but I think I may just wait until I rebuild the engine in a few years...maybe), intake, Sard FPR, the AVCR and DEFI gauges. No idea what power I'm running though. Type UK cars are 280hp, and USDM/JDM are 300? Mines a 06 STI from Singapore ha. I'd guess UKDM if I had to.

As for location yeah, I'm still torn. It'd take up the entire space where the ashtray is at on the new age, so no room for the intercooler spray controller, and it'll look super clean, but I'd lose the lighter spot (not that I envision using it mind) for extra car charger stuff...but at the same time I kind of like it where it's mounted at the moment...

IMG_3711.JPG

• Like 1

My "newage" spec isn't too sharp tbh but you could find out what turbo and gearbox ratio yours has . Then cross reference those with uk and jdm spec to see which model it's based on maybe ? .

I started off with a cheap 4 in 1 gauge just to keep a eye on oil ,pressure /temp and boost ,as I wasn't keen on to many distractions while driving.

Now (somehow ) My interior looks like a airplane cockpit ffs [emoji55]

ecc930f1a922960b85c502e1f2a3a410.jpg

So I'm probably not the best one to give you any pointers [emoji23]

• Like 1

I'd reckon it'd be USDM or UKDM if I'm honest and not JDM (have a slight burble). I might actually do that though. I bought it as is. Originally the gauges were all lined up on the top of the dash in a row, but I got them moved into pods for a cleaner look, but yeah kinda looks like a cockpit or Christmas tree, especially as I have red gauge cluster, white DEFI, blue Apexi AVCR, darker green climate control (waiting for my red LEDs to turn up to change that, also have that intercooler sprayer which is bright green and red and the turbo time which is bright red)!

Anyways, this is similar to what I was thinking:

IMG_3742.JPG