Newbie needing advice

Thebiz

Hi and welcome. Many discussions on this very topic. Some say the 2.5L engine (hawk eye and newer) is not as strong as the older 2.0L, while other will say they have never had a problem. Main problems reported with the hawk are head gaskets and ringland, but a good maintenance routine could help combat any problems. I was very much in your shoes a short while ago, and I decided to go for the blobeye (2.0L) WRX. I had an old classic sport a few years ago and had confidence in the engine. Also other will say for that money you should be able to get a blobeye sti, is there any reason why you want the WRX and not the STI? I wanted the low spoiler and a slightly softer ride. I wanted to blend in and not stand out.

I was hoping to buy newer plate rather than older. I would say 6-7k is my max budget, I would love to find an older example but scared they are all thrashed to death. 

Sti  is slightly out my budget

Just had another look at that one and my gut says stay away. A full d cat might not pass the next mot. If it's been remapped, what it mapped up to? The 5 speed gearbox has limits!!

In my eyes, if someone has spent money on an add you want to put as much info as poss about the upgrades. I would certainly ask more questions about it. Just my pennies worth.

I wouldn't rule an older one out. Sti would be in your price bracket then. Just do a lot of searching.

7 minutes ago, Sirspidey said:

Just had another look at that one and my gut says stay away. A full d cat might not pass the next mot. If it's been remapped, what it mapped up to? The 5 speed gearbox has limits!!

In my eyes, if someone has spent money on an add you want to put as much info as poss about the upgrades. I would certainly ask more questions about it. Just my pennies worth.

I wouldn't rule an older one out. Sti would be in your price bracket then. Just do a lot of searching.

There is no mention of an upgraded turbo so the limit would be around 290ish... 5 speed is good to around 350.

I would want proof of a remap, dyno print out etc.