First Subaru, any advise welcome

RossGray

Hi there, just bought my first ever Subaru, it's a Impreza RX 2.0 petrol, I'm 21 and it's the only thing I could afford to insure at the moment but I'm still over the moon I've got my first Impreza. Just looking for any general advise please, anything I can do/buy to improve the performance and get the most from the car. Also looking for tips and advice on servicing the car and looking after it, cheers guys, Ross 

Welcome, i wouldn't bother trying to improve performance. Subarus derive their power from turbo chargers so will never be that quick.

Will handle well and stick to the road well, just enjoy then in a few yeas upgrade to an sti :)

Wotcha and welcome - as above hi flow panel filter, cat back exhaust (when your existing fails) for a little more rumble is as far as engine needs to go, look at chassis mods, brakes, ARB, suspension could be a bit firmer - think about power to weight ratio, where can you drop some weight.

But if all you do is spend money on giving it a full service, replace all the fluids, spark plugs, dependant on mileage the belts and pulleys etc that is ok

With my RX I didnt think the alloys filled the space enough so I bought some spacers, haven't bothered with any power orientated mods

i have the rx 2.0, i love it. similar issue been 25 but from owning this car i will never buy anything but subaru again. goes canny if pushed but its biggest asset is the grip. great fun having a bmw or merc up your backside till you come to a corner and they cant hold up. and this is in the normal car, cant wait till i get my hands on a wrx or sti.  read loads of reviews, mostly poor, what a load of dribble.  the only thing is it does feel underpowered but its a heavy car. 

put in a pipercross foam panel filter, will be putting a catback exhaust on it in the near future and then a remap.  not expecting alot, unless you believe the sellers then ill be at 180bhp, just want a little more pull to make up for the weight. 

fitted front and rear strut braces, it does make a difference and corners flatter, only thing i found with them is though its flatter itll bounce back and kick slightly when it leans whereas before it just went with it i put it down to the cheap winter tyres it came with not gripping. http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=25999095.110.16956&sowigan=Wi&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=17&Speed=&Load=&kategorie=6&Marke=Ovation&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Ovation&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&Label=E-C-71-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-247734 hardly a top end tyre.  looking to put better anti roll bars and tyres on aswell as a brake cylinder brace(was surprised how much it does actually move) 

servicing is very easy just buy a big breaker bar, rear diff plugs and engine sump plug were hell to remove on mine. spark plugs were a pig but its doable. 

do recommend membership here, at the least the Halfords card has saved me over £200 easy. having this car has also made me spend a fortune on bits n pieces but thats not the point

Cheers guys, only just got the car so having a look at everything people are suggesting, doesn't seem to be many parts for this model, jay have you got a picture of your wheels now what size of spacers did u use? Cheers