opinion on classic

Scooby1972

Just wanted everyones opinion on this or if any body recognises it?Tempted to have a look but seems a bit expensive i no its had a lot spent on bodywork but you cant always get that back in price what do you guys think.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-2-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-2-door-Subaru-Impreza-Turbo-2000-Blue-22B-WRX-UK-STI-Type-R-Coupe-Widetrack-/132090404240?hash=item1ec1339d90:g:XkYAAOSw9GhYdoor-Subaru-Impreza-Turbo-2000-Blue-22B-WRX-UK-STI-Type-R-Coupe-Widetrack-/132090404240?hash=item1ec1339d90:g:XkYAAOSw9GhY

Hi I'm no expert by any means, but is it a 22b?? I thought these were a special edition?? Surely leaving it original would demand better money? But that could be me. I also though the special edition (especially the 2 doors) commanded more money than they are asking. I would be doing more research on it for sure.

It reads like it started life as a standard 2000 turbo then had a two door conversion done, re spray and a few extra body panels put on. It looks well looked after but you would have to remember your buying a replica lookalike.. a good standard 2000 turbo, wrx or a wrx sti would be more desirable in years to come and hold its money better. 

Yeah its a bodge job 2 door. Daft thing is for the money he spent having it converted he could have bought a proper type R. To be fair i've seen worse hatchet jobs, although what its like up close you'll only find out when you see it.

5 minutes ago, Sandals said:

Unabused example? With an engine rebuild at 68k I find that VERY hard to believe.....

hahah yeah, although to be fair they can fail at any milage even well looked after, tis only as strong as it's weakest part ;)

Just now, Tidgy said:

hahah yeah, although to be fair they can fail at any milage even well looked after, tis only as strong as it's weakest part ;)

True, but not exactly common with the 2 litres... and the fact that it's a bone stock engine, no forged components and it cost over 5k?? Either he's a mug and was ripped off or again... bullsheeeeeeeeeit

If the car goes for my buy it now price, I will include a full tank of high performance fuel. Which is good for anything up to 400 miles depending what type of driving you are doing and how heavy your right foot is.

400 miles?!? 

8 minutes ago, Sandals said:

True, but not exactly common with the 2 litres... and the fact that it's a bone stock engine, no forged components and it cost over 5k?? Either he's a mug and was ripped off or again... bullsheeeeeeeeeit

If the car goes for my buy it now price, I will include a full tank of high performance fuel. Which is good for anything up to 400 miles depending what type of driving you are doing and how heavy your right foot is.

400 miles?!? 

2.0's do fail but i agree substantially less than 2.5. 

As far as engine costs its not far off for a proper rebuild, assuming it has actually had the forged pistons put in, full bottom end and head rebuild. just depends on what exactly was done. It's very easy to rack up big costs if lots of parts are junk, been there done that lol

3 hours ago, Tidgy said:

2.0's do fail but i agree substantially less than 2.5. 

As far as engine costs its not far off for a proper rebuild, assuming it has actually had the forged pistons put in, full bottom end and head rebuild. just depends on what exactly was done. It's very easy to rack up big costs if lots of parts are junk, been there done that lol

He states it's a standard engine so I would assume standard pistons... would need to check in detail how it was rebuilt like you say.

I do like the look of it, just the advert really puts me off. If someone keeps banging on about how it's an unabused example, makes me think they've abused it!

5 minutes ago, Sandals said:

He states it's a standard engine so I would assume standard pistons... would need to check in detail how it was rebuilt like you say.

I do like the look of it, just the advert really puts me off. If someone keeps banging on about how it's an unabused example, makes me think they've abused it!

Ah thought it said forged pistons, but that was another one i was looking at hahaha

2 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

Ah thought it said forged pistons, but that was another one i was looking at hahaha

Tidgy... looking at other Subarus? Say it ain't so!!

I think it's worth a look, if it's local... just have a really good look through all the receipts and underneath etc. If he doesn't have any receipts or proof, assume it hasn't been done.

Also might be worth finding out who did the 2 door conversion then researching them to see if there are any horror stories, that lovely paint job may be hiding some horrors.

23 minutes ago, Sandals said:

Tidgy... looking at other Subarus? Say it ain't so!!

I think it's worth a look, if it's local... just have a really good look through all the receipts and underneath etc. If he doesn't have any receipts or proof, assume it hasn't been done.

Also might be worth finding out who did the 2 door conversion then researching them to see if there are any horror stories, that lovely paint job may be hiding some horrors.

haha, was a link to someone looking at buying on SN

Thanks for all the input guys,must be honest advert puts me off and especially that he had bodywork done in nov 16 and is now selling it...probably like others have said a standard classic is a better buy and will only go up in value i love the look of what he has done and the colour but other half hates it and said its chavvy so that hasnt started well 🤔