Impreza WRX cat Exhaust advice required

annascoob

Right - brought Impreza WRX wagon 2002 bug eye 6 weeks ish ago with view of running it forever as an enthusiast. It has a stock exhaust on it which is about to fall off etc so have been looking for a full (from turbo to tailpipe) stainless steel system that will be on it till the car dies or I do. We run it as a road car so it has to be able to pass MOT so decat not an option and I love the boxer rumble and want to hear it! So we have looked at

cobra turbo back with sports cat and non res - my garage man that does the work says they are not reliable and he has had them brake etc: (they come with a lifetime garuntee so does that matter?) 

apexi - state they don't make for 2002 uk spec Impreza wrx

Miltek don't appear to have cat options only decat

i am losing the will trying to find a nice sounding, fitting and legal exhaust system 😳

any advice please? 

I would also add that I am a bit old school and would love a cherry bomb - however that's a pipe dream if I can't find the basics! As cherry bomb only comes as tail/box end no other exhaust system parts! 

Haha based in north Devon - so decent custom joint would mean a road trip somewhere. Everything in Devon is few and far between! Would love a custom job, will try to research but I am betting nearest will be exeter or Plymouth which both are 2 ish hour drives mostly because of the twisty roads mind

I've had a few cobra exhaust systems and found them to be well made and a good fit .

On my classic I'm currently running a cobra 3" track day cat back. which has 2 resonators in the centre section and a big back box . Still unleashes the scooby burble but doesn't drone on the carriage way.

Have a listen to the vids on their website to get a idea of the difference between non resonated and resonated .

The other brands you mentioned are good too but miltek tend to not look as pretty .

Can't fault my cobra one, perfect fit, I had the same system as savage but had a sports cat in the down pipe, was nice and burbley but not too annoying at high speeds

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks all for advice; we have a custom joint in Barnstaple only 20 miles away (but bloke only there 2 days a week lol). I have had a quote from them it's a POWERFLOW??? Connected to top gear tuning seem to be a national outfit they say £450 for full stainless system for 3" - now full cobra system comes in at £890???

having watched a few you tube vids for scooby exhausts now - the throaty boxer rumble seems to be best on the cobra system. I have come across some other brands now too like Haywood & Scott and Inveda, they like the powerflow seems to be quite high pitched but don't know if that's the skill of the camera man though lol

at the moment the Cobra system is winning out right - so may just ignore my garage guy and do it anyway - one thing he did say was that the sports cat on any system only lasts one MOT worth before having to be replaced?? Any experience of that anyone?

11 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

Try looking for piranahperformanceuk seller on ebay . I bought my 3" cobra trackday system from them for under £400 . They're still made by cobra and have the lifetime warranties but the pipework isnt polished (boxes are) and therfore they're almost half price

Hi SB, do you mean seller:piranhaproducts-uk ?

Try looking for piranahperformanceuk seller on ebay . I bought my 3" cobra trackday system from them for under £400 . They're still made by cobra and have the lifetime warranties but the pipework isnt polished (boxes are) and therfore they're almost half price

Hi SB, do you mean seller:piranhaproducts-uk ?

Hmm possibly [emoji55] it was last year lol .

I had a quick squint and i couldn't find them on eBay atm . My receipts are in the loft , gotta hide em from the wife somewhere [emoji23]

Did have this number on my phone from them though .

I had to get the part numbers off cobras website and give them those to get a quote

Yes It looks like Piranha sells Cobras for all types of vehicles but did spot them selling a track day friendly example coincidentally. Could be the same company as their locations aren't far apart I.e Sheffield & Yorkshire.  Anyway, we all appreciate your input SB , thanks 

• Like 1

Quite possibly the same company , unless they've got some sort of agreement with cobra . As they're definitely the genuine article,just almost half price due to the brush finish pipework. 069910c0a6bd43964b987bc54a85bf33.jpg1d83229cbb7c1f295a87f6d09b8de4b4.jpg1595efc1bd60ea812cb30bc24e427134.jpg

Is that from the eBay site? Are they old pics then?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No worries all good chat re exhaust though! I will be looking into the piranha products - but the cobra exhaust is definitely what we are going to get now. Nothing else comes close to the lovely throaty boxer rumble! Thanks for the good debate and research. 

My poor  scooby back in the garage yesterday and turns out whoever touched the turbo on it last (only had it for 6 weeks) shoved the induction intake turbo pipe INSIDE the turbo! No wonder lacking in power and sending engine management light into "strobe" mode flashing on and off so much! 

13 hours ago, annascoob said:

No worries all good chat re exhaust though! I will be looking into the piranha products - but the cobra exhaust is definitely what we are going to get now. Nothing else comes close to the lovely throaty boxer rumble! Thanks for the good debate and research. 

My poor  scooby back in the garage yesterday and turns out whoever touched the turbo on it last (only had it for 6 weeks) shoved the induction intake turbo pipe INSIDE the turbo! No wonder lacking in power and sending engine management light into "strobe" mode flashing on and off so much! 

links for You tube as mentioned above.

Stants - oh dear re the sports cat; however since the recent turbo inlet pipe incident and £300 quid lighter in the pocket we have to wait a while but it seems that sports cats are very fickle things! 

After getting scoob back last night at the eleventh hour before the road trip, she's a totally different animal now! The power is massively increased (unsurprisingly!) I went straight out onto the Atlantic highway to "test her out" and I am absolutely gobsmacked at the difference in power. 

Then I got home and immediately sent the hubby out in her - he came back saying "is it the the same car?" With a massive smile on his face and stating we could become a 2 Subaru household!!! Well my hubby is not a petrol head like me (he happily drives Mitsubishi colt automatic!) so shocker!!!!!! 

Savage bulldogs - seems the brushed pipework Cobra is no longer available from piranha on eBay but searching elsewhere to see if anyone else has it - I think because we are looking for the whole system from turbo to tailpipe (downpipe, centre res and back box) that's it's still going to come in at around £700-£800 unless we go second hand and you never know what people have done to those. 

Savage - I did not look in the description on their pages! Doh - it does actually state they are all Saturn pipework! It seems that if you get from Cobra themselves they are full blown retail; however just about everyone else selling them like piranha, roadrunners, scooby world, japspeed etc all able to take at least 10% off????????? Still for down pipe alone it's at least 300 then with centre and back at least 350 so give or take!