Fuel economy on 2008 2l Impreza

Brick

Eyup.

We've got an old much loved much battered, and I do mean battered 2001 Forester Sport. The forester has big chunky General Grabber tyres on it too. Also now got a 2008 Impreza 2L R. Bog standard with Yokahama road tyres on it. It's an awesome drive BUT the old battered (big AT tyre fitted) Forester is cheaper to run. We get an average of 30MPG in the Impreza and 35MPG in the Forester. Is this right? Not a big deal but had expected the more modern version of the engine to be cheaper to run. Expected it to be better to drive and wow, it is. Best car I've driven that I've actually owned, not the fastest but the best.

Our driving is never short hops as we live in the hills in North Wales and it's minimum 5 miles on the commute which is half single track streep windy lanes, half nat speed limit. and regularly 45 mins on main roads to town so thats national speed limit mostly.

Engine: 1994cc 4-cyl 16v petrol, 148bhp @ 6400 rpm, 145lb ft @ 2000 rpm
Transmission: Five-speed manual, four-wheel drive
Performance: 9.6sec 0-62mph, 120mph, 33.6mpg, 199g/km CO2
Weight / material: 1345kg, steel
Dimensions (length/width/height in mm): 4415/1740/1475mm

You're getting more in your Forester than I am at the moment, although I've only done one "full to full" run since I took ownership. I obtained 30.2 MPG from mine, which is a 2.0 litre automatic, which, being an auto, probably means it's less economical than a manual. Getting 35 MPG from a 2 litre engine-ANY 2 litre engine-is pretty good, but given the terrain you cover that's pretty good going! 

I'll be monitoring my Subaru's performance and economy and reporting back as things go. My problem is the almost irresistible urge to floor it every now and then, which doesn't do much for the economy!

• Like 1

I've checked the car over, should do this more really. Took an age trying to replace a drivers side side light, stupidly awkward to get to. Cleaned the air filter and put some gearbox oil in it as it was very very low. I **** you not I've just been gettintg 44MPG. I actually took a photo of it in case nobody believed me.

Will take to a new local Subaru garage as the sump on the gearbox has a leak. The folk we bought it from had just serviced it and replaced gearbox and diff oils. Clearly they've not put a sump washer on it or it needs replacing.

IMG_20180107_154317[289].jpg

sounds about right, flat 4 boxer is not an economical engine in any format. my mrs 2.0 sport gets similar MPG to my 2.5 hawk sti. my dads got a 4 month old XV and is lucky to get's over mid 30's per tank.