Overheating Issues!

scottrobo23

Hello everyone..

Im hoping someone can maybe shed some light on my situation that ive lived with for months.

Ive a 2.5 Hawkeye 2007. My car overheats badly, it forces me to pullover wherever i am, switch the engine off and once cooled, top up with water. Ive discovered a pattern, it seems that the car will over heat when I'm pushing it, driving hard, OR, driving at a constant speed of 80mph ish.. 

I had someone say that it was my head gasket but ive checked for hydrocarbons and I'm confident its not that. Im now struggling to figure out the issue.. is it radiator related? Thermostat? 

When Its overheating, ill switch the engine off, but keep ignition on, I can hear the fans kick in until it reaches usual temp.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you !!

Scott

HG is the common one and can have odd and sneaky symptoms in early stages.

You want rule out basics of water flow from things like thermostat, rad core, water pump rotor etc, cooling system wants pressure testing and chemical test during a hot run .

check plug colour, check bottom join of head to block for any signs of leak issue gunge along the join.

We get quite a few that pass gas sniff test and chemical test but it the HG and time proves it if nothing else can .

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2018 at 3:32 PM, Phillip1993 said:

iv had a blocked rad before and the same symptoms as what your having

Ah right, The radiator Ive got is pretty new, as the old one was leaking.

I thought it may have air in the system at first?

Fitting a new thermostat tomorrow and will drop the coolant and refill, See what happens after that.

Ah right, The radiator Ive got is pretty new, as the old one was leaking.
I thought it may have air in the system at first?
Fitting a new thermostat tomorrow and will drop the coolant and refill, See what happens after that.
Flush the rad then you can raul it out also a good thing to do anyway

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

So far so good...! 

About three weeks ago I had a new thermostat fitted.. one of those that runs 10 degrees lower. 

And since then, I've given the car full power and no overheating now.!

just thought it'd be worth putting on this thread in case there's anyone having similar issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottrobo23 said:

So far so good...! 

About three weeks ago I had a new thermostat fitted.. one of those that runs 10 degrees lower. 

And since then, I've given the car full power and no overheating now.!

just thought it'd be worth putting on this thread in case there's anyone having similar issues. 

Glad you sorted it and was simple.