Wrx wagon failed MOT emissions

rcwsr

My wagon failed it's emissions test today by a percentage point. Got the car nice and hot, but did turn engine off before the test, although they tested emissions straight away. It has just a sports cat in the downpipe (or was it the up pipe, I forget 😁), and was remapped by scoobyworld.

Firstly has anyone got any tips for getting this through, and secondly does anyone in the Leicestershire area have a centre cat pipe laying about that I could borrow?!

First bit of advice would be find a new "friendly" mot tester. Second, as far as I'm aware you don't have any cats further down the exhaust than the downpipe. That would mean yours sports car isn't cutting it in the emissions dept. Option 1 new not tester, option 2 new sports cat, option 3 new cat and re-tune.

Thanks, getting a new downpipe is going to be expensive plus MOT is due next week, left it a bit late. I don't really have the contacts to find a friendly MOT tester!

hmmm with a properly set up motor and a sports cat you should pass it no problem ? It might be a related issue

as above I would check with scooby world, how long ago was map done, are your plugs & filter in good order have your injectors ever been cleaned?

The downpipe is from scoobyworld but I bought it second hand, and they fitted it for me when thry did the map last year. They said the downpipe could have been one of their older lower cell cats. Filter was also done at this time. As far as I know injectors/plugs haven't been touched while I've owned the car.

The afternoon I posted this I drove to a local MOT centre which happened to have an impreza parked outside. He put it on his emission tester and said it was failing but he was pretty sure he could get it to pass with some redex in it.

Took it earlier to get some welding done on the rear arches (another MOT failure), and it was making some horrible rattling noises at and above 3k rpm.

Redex is good, but Forte is better, although only available to mechanics as it is tighter controlled.
Mine had Forte through, admittedly no previous emission issues, but passed with the lowest emissions ive ever seen on an mot.
Well worth it.