Chipex repair kit

Dogconker

Hi 

I have used this on last couple of cars

works well if you put time in and do it correct

simple to do much better than touch up pen kit although more expensive but worth it to be fair

Dug

1 hour ago, Dug said:

Hi 

I have used this on last couple of cars

works well if you put time in and do it correct

simple to do much better than touch up pen kit although more expensive but worth it to be fair

Dug

I was just going to do it because the forecast said it was going to nice for tge next couple if hours, had to repair the vinyl on my grille where a stone hit it which I got done in about 20mins, then it rained, so much for weather forecasts. 

It looks like it works on youtube vids etc, I know it’ll never be perfect but if I can get the holes filled in with white and smooth then I’ll be happy

I’ve used the system, mixed results but entirely down to me.  First time I was eager to get on and did not allow enough time for each stage. After that the results got better and like most things in life preparation is the key to a good outcome.

Good luck with your efforts.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

I’ve used the system, mixed results but entirely down to me.  First time I was eager to get on and did not allow enough time for each stage. After that the results got better and like most things in life preparation is the key to a good outcome.

Good luck with your efforts.

Having used it, any advice for a first timer?

First clean car with alcohol wipe

Build in layers

Put a blob of paint on then level it with a credit card or alike to get to same level as rest

Use solution on it to clean up

Leave a couple of hours to go off 

Repeat as needed

Then leave 24 hours then polish

For me it wortk well 😎

Dug

1 hour ago, Dogconker said:

Having used it, any advice for a first timer?

As Dug said above, I used a cocktail stick to apply the paint and the best results I got was to build up the layers very slowly. What I also found was that once I’d got a goodish layer of paint in the chip I could fill the rest with lacquer, leaving slightly proud and when dry cutting back with a selection of wet and dry. It was never perfect but most people would not notice and the result passed  the PX dealer inspection, result!

9 minutes ago, ernieb said:

As Dug said above, I used a cocktail stick to apply the paint and the best results I got was to build up the layers very slowly. What I also found was that once I’d got a goodish layer of paint in the chip I could fill the rest with lacquer, leaving slightly proud and when dry cutting back with a selection of wet and dry. It was never perfect but most people would not notice and the result passed  the PX dealer inspection, result!

Not sure we are talking about the same system, this system uses a blending solution to smooth down the soft paint to the same level as the surrounding paint, there’s no need to sand at all

52 minutes ago, Dogconker said:

Not sure we are talking about the same system, this system uses a blending solution to smooth down the soft paint to the same level as the surrounding paint, there’s no need to sand at all

It was the same system I used and I did have to smooth the surface down afterwards it sort of depends on the angle of the surface that the repair is being worked on.  Good luck with your chips it will be interesting to see how you get on.

Ok so had a stab at it this morning, done the first fill of the holes, photos actually loo much worse than the chips do in real life, but I will still build up another layer, but got to fetch the caravan home now to give it a wash, some before and after photos below, the second one of each set was actually a big stone chip about 2-3 mm long but it looks far less noticeable noe its partially filled. Might take a couple of days allowing the paint to harden between each layer.

on the first photo though you can see the two smaller chips have all but gone

92F25413-215D-42E4-95D6-6CB2E2982DAD.jpeg

0F968261-39F9-47D5-8514-E3D349C59A14.jpeg

9FEF816B-AACF-49AC-B575-190201A018BE.jpeg

8D5CE9BD-E57A-416F-BC1C-6C89996B5390.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dogconker said:

Ok so had a stab at it this morning, done the first fill of the holes, photos actually loo much worse than the chips do in real life, but I will still build up another layer, but got to fetch the caravan home now to give it a wash, some before and after photos below, the second one of each set was actually a big stone chip about 2-3 mm long but it looks far less noticeable noe its partially filled. Might take a couple of days allowing the paint to harden between each layer.

on the first photo though you can see the two smaller chips have all but gone

92F25413-215D-42E4-95D6-6CB2E2982DAD.jpeg

0F968261-39F9-47D5-8514-E3D349C59A14.jpeg

9FEF816B-AACF-49AC-B575-190201A018BE.jpeg

8D5CE9BD-E57A-416F-BC1C-6C89996B5390.jpeg

You must be pleased with how it’s going so far. Better than my first attempt to be honest. In some of the images you can see slightly raised particles and it’s these that I decided to flat down with some very fine wet and dry, 3000 grit I seem to remember. I appreciate that the repair seen in the “round” would not likely show these, photos do tend to enhance the edges due to the shadow affects which our eyes integrate. It will be very interesting to see the finished job. I do think your take time approach will pay off in the end, as I said earlier I rather rushed my first repair and regretted it as I had to redo much of the work.

9 hours ago, ernieb said:

You must be pleased with how it’s going so far. Better than my first attempt to be honest. In some of the images you can see slightly raised particles and it’s these that I decided to flat down with some very fine wet and dry, 3000 grit I seem to remember. I appreciate that the repair seen in the “round” would not likely show these, photos do tend to enhance the edges due to the shadow affects which our eyes integrate. It will be very interesting to see the finished job. I do think your take time approach will pay off in the end, as I said earlier I rather rushed my first repair and regretted it as I had to redo much of the work.

I think taking time is key on this, quite pleased with the results though, I would recommend this kit to be fair. Will try to finish the job tomorrow evening see how it looks.

So tackled the “big one” today, had a sizeable and deep stone chip, really obvious and it was really annoying me.

anyway The two pics beliw show the results, I think I need just a tiuch more paint another day but really pleased with the results, wasn’t expecting it to cover as well as it did.

would definitely recommend the pack, it’s nit a perfect finish, but as my dad used to say “a blind man would give his right arm to be able to see it” (such an odd saying?)

in both pictures the mark is by the right finger

F54B84E0-6657-4992-8918-2E4307048074.jpeg

EAD0A2C0-AA78-4D3A-86A1-21CD1B40B277.thumb.jpeg.242bfab8a346876cc0ca9d60d859a4d1.jpeg

9 hours ago, Dogconker said:

So tackled the “big one” today, had a sizeable and deep stone chip, really obvious and it was really annoying me.

anyway The two pics beliw show the results, I think I need just a tiuch more paint another day but really pleased with the results, wasn’t expecting it to cover as well as it did.

would definitely recommend the pack, it’s nit a perfect finish, but as my dad used to say “a blind man would give his right arm to be able to see it” (such an odd saying?)

in both pictures the mark is by the right finger

F54B84E0-6657-4992-8918-2E4307048074.jpeg

EAD0A2C0-AA78-4D3A-86A1-21CD1B40B277.thumb.jpeg.242bfab8a346876cc0ca9d60d859a4d1.jpeg

I’d be pleased enough with that and I’m sure at a normal viewing height would not notice the repair. To some extent the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in and I’ve been known to try just too hard and then make a “pigs ear of it” (another old saying?)

13 hours ago, ernieb said:

I’d be pleased enough with that and I’m sure at a normal viewing height would not notice the repair. To some extent the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in and I’ve been known to try just too hard and then make a “pigs ear of it” (another old saying?)

I may just run another pass over it once it’s had a week to fully harden 

• Like 1