Ceramic Paint Treatment - Test

Dogconker

So I have taken the plunge and am going to try out Hydrosilex Ceramic paint coating. Ordered a bottle today, the theory, no more polishing and waxing, one application to all surfaces creates a hydrophobic surface thst nothing sticks to? 

Your car still gets dirty but it just rinses off. Can even use on glass, plastic, wheels and matt surfaces such as vinyl. They say it lasts for 6-8 months before needing a top up.

so anyway, got a bottle on order, £30, says it’s enough to do 3 cars so I’ll try it out and feed back, take some pictures etc.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, Marshffs said:

Look forward to seeing the results 

Will post up, I have to sort out stone chips first which I hope to do tomorrow then its a wash and clay so I can put the treatment on in the cool of the evening. Will do some before and after vids

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so today the weather cooled off a bit and I had some time to sort this ceramic coating out Hydrosilex.

OK short review, you need this!! Car looks like new, used 1 third of a bottle, cost me £36 including postage, Hydrophobic effect is supposed to last 6-12 months, nearer 12 in a moderate environment which the UK is. To clean, just pressure wash off, dry and buff. Yet to test this but apparently nothing sticks.

longer review, you’re going to spend 5-6hrs doing this the first time! 

First wash the car, and I mean REALLY wash the car, rinse off thoroughly, then you need to clay the car to get rid of all the old waxes abd coatings as you want it back to top coat, I did mine by hand but machine is going to be quicker. I then did a swirl removal job using MEGUAIR’S Swirl X, (works really well by the way) if you put Hydrosilex on with swirls you’ll have to abrade off the Hydrosilex before you get to the swirls, Hydrosilex is a semi-permanent coating.

once I’d done the swirls i rinsed off the car again to get rid of any dust that might stick in the coating. Lastly I dry applied the coating as per instructions spray on an area, immediately wipe, then buff with clean microfibre. and that’s it!

you can usin it on, every part of the car outside, wheels, glass, vinyl, plastic, apparently you can even spray on material to stop stains.

i bought mine here:

https://hydrosilexglobal.com/

Anyway I did a before and after vid below.

And a finished photo.

1FE70C25-7B9A-423A-ADBB-3D1D5F606046.jpeg

31 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Very good result  it will be interesting to see how well it really does after 12months.  Great before and after video.

Well that will be the test. Bit at the minute it has a near mirror finish and is as smooth as glass. Very impressed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marshffs said:

Superb mate

Sadly, made a rod for my own back because the wife wants her gunmetal grey XV doing the same now, another 5 hrs of my life been allocated to car detailing.

mind you, if the results on her dark car look as good as mine it should look stunning, I’ll post a pic when done

• Like 2

Wife’s car prepped, just waiting for it to cool down now to apply the ceramic coating.

now I have cramp in my hands and forearms from all the polishing to get tid of the swirl marks on hers where she put it through a car wash

Update.

wife’s car is done so now to see how long it lasts and to see if I buy any more. Used about a third to 3/4s of a small bottle but I imagine you’d a lot less on subsequent treatments, anyway for now they both look the dogs! Very impressed. 

Lets see if it last the 9-12months they claim

9D279319-520D-418D-A81A-B390660AF020.jpeg

Got to say that the finish is very much like "glass". Could you post a photo after we've had some rain and when the cars have not been cleaned.  It would be good to see if the hydroscopic effect works when there is muck and dust around and the car is subjected to the micro 'crap' that comes with the rain as it pulls pollutants out of the sky? 

Overall, it does look like your efforts have been well rewarded.

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Got to say that the finish is very much like "glass". Could you post a photo after we've had some rain and when the cars have not been cleaned.  It would be good to see if the hydroscopic effect works when there is muck and dust around and the car is subjected to the micro 'crap' that comes with the rain as it pulls pollutants out of the sky? 

Overall, it does look like your efforts have been well rewarded.

Yes I will, towing a caravan at the weekend sk will pick up some crid, pollen etc. I wiper some bird muck off yesterdat that had gone solid but when I wiped it it just slid off.

i meam you still have to clean the car but inlike was this finish doesn’t wash off it can only be abraded off.

will see what the car looks like in a week or two

• Like 1

So car has been coated a week now, this morning it was covered in dust and pollen etc, paint felt quite a bit gritty especially having towed tge caravan nearly 100miles and also down a crushed stone road, but we had a downpour this evening, water beaded on paint  even though it was obviously dusty and dirty, just as it did in the video I posted earlier, rubbed my hand over the paint and it felt as smooth as silk again, so I guess it’s self cleaning in terms of dust etc. Even the bug splats on front bumper had mostly come off, just needed a help. But without me doing anything to it it looks like glass again. Actually quite impressed!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so it has been almost 2 months since I treated my car with a ceramic coating, the car was filthy, covered in fine dust and sandy water marks, mud and bug splats. 

So first thing I did was test the hydrophobic effect of the Hydrosilex coating, as video below, actually quite surprised at the result considering the paint felt like sandpaper. Water did repel off the paintwork and left the surface dry with a few beads.

so then to cleaning the car, the guide says just pressure wash off, no need to clean with soap, dry with a good quality drying cloth (I used a meguair’s one) then lightly buff with a good quality microfibre towel.

So how did that go? Well me and the wife hoovered and cleaned the inside of both XVs, washed the outside, quick spray of detailing spray to remove some stubborn braie dust and bug splats, though still much easier than normal. 

End result was 2 cars that look like they had had  2-3 hours work each on them, look freshly waxed, actually very impressed as we did both cars including the insides in 1hr 10mins.

what you can’t see is that the paint feels as smooth as glass, I would have had to clay the whole car to get it that smooth normally And the cars look freshly waxed, even though all I have done is pressure wash, dry and buff (and a little detailing spray for the stubborn bits).

it even works on the plastics, glass and matt finishes, even my windscreen app s hydrophobic now! 

So my summary review?

This stuff really works, and I mean really, really works, it’s really easy to put on, once you’ve removed all the old wax and swirl marks, makes the car really easy to clean to a showroom finish without any effort and very little time.

One thing I would say is use the dry application method, as tempting as it is to do the quick fix, all the detailers say you get a better finish with a dry application.

You can buy it from

Hydrosilexglobal.com

costs about £36 for a mid sized bottle of which we used about 2 thirds to do both cars.

I am seriously impressed with this stuff! 

335BEF8A-1736-47EB-8BC5-94D0F580009C.jpeg

D62D2CFF-FFAB-4C85-9A9F-66008C4B5F04.jpeg