EJ255 Rebuild - cam journals

Good Afternoon 😊

Needing some advice from the forum if anyone wants to chip in?

In the process of having a comprehensive (forged plus new turbo) rebuild carried out on an EJ255 engine from an 06 Forester STI

It has come to light that the camshaft journals & cams have some scoring evident - the highly experienced guy doing the build says they are knackered & can't be redone.

I've sourced a second hand set of heads but these too have scoring to the journals (not as bad as the original heads) and don't necessarily want to use them after having spent a small fortune to get to this stage with the block being almost done & the new turbo already purchased.

I've found these heads on eBay, which are marketed as "refurbished" & ship from the UAE in 3-4 days.

I've asked the vendor if the cams/journals are unmarked and am awaiting a reply from them.

The question is -

Do I have any other options/solutions available ? (other than buying brand new heads/cams/valves etc. etc.)

The cash I had put aside for the project has been rapidly diminished and I'm pretty scunnered tbh 

I'm aware that the heads should have been one of the first things looked at before starting the rebuild, but it wasn't :bag:

Any advice most gratefully received :smile:

2 things that can be done. 1, Line hone the journals (assuming conditions/tolerances allow for it) . 2, machine journals to take bearing shells (good but expensive)

You need a good machine shop and they hard to find, we have many local but still take parts 160 mile round trip for proper decent machine work .

• Like 1