Steering angle sensor wrx sti 2006 HELP PLZ

Turnerdv10

Steering angle sensor saga . 

I need some help I changed the heater matrix on my wrx sti Hawkeye 2006 . I unbolted the column and left it loose . Put everything all back together and got P1767 steering angle sensor fault . Tried 3 good ones and they worked till I turned the steering wheel a fraction . I’m lost . Any ideas . I lined up the steering angle sensor arrow to small line . Round squib round to right then back 3 1/4 turns connected angle sensor lined it up to triangle on cowling . Can’t see where I am going wrong . Can someone shed any light as there’s no way I could if disturbed anything by taking the dash out as there’s nothing there to interfere with it .

You may have to get the car plugged in to a laptop and get the sensor re-calibrated, we have vans in the fleet at work and when we fit a new steering angle sensor we have to plug it in and tell it it has a new one fitted then the laptop will show what angle the steering is at, you get it to 0 degrees ( straight ahead) then turn the steering lock to lock then back to centre again, its basically teaching the ecu, hopefully its the same on the scoobs,  hope this helps 😎👍

Unfort not lol . I can read the sensor not a problem . Strange thing is before I turn the wheel it states it’s at 2049 then when I turn it slightly it zeros out and then value obv changes from left to right . The clock spring is def aligned I had to turn it about 4 times round to line up the arrow and line . But strange each time it states 2049 then changes to zero . 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi I have the same problem and was wondering if anyone has found a fix for it yet, here's what I have done so far, I have followed Subaru's diagnostic procedures for that fault code, all the wires can up ok so I tried a new steering angle sensor and have even tried a new DCCD control unit as thats what it say the problems would be. I am using the free ssm and when it's just the ignition on the angle will be correct, but as soon the the engine is turned on the value will jump to 2048 and stay there. I have even given the sensor new lives and earth's in the hope that was the problem, but still no joy 

• 10 months later...

I've just solved the P1767 fault on mine (steering angle sensor circuit), it's quite complicated, I could check and fix sensors for people if posted to me

Long version:

These sensors don't actually seem easy to break, I think it's just the fact that they set permanent faults and pretend to be broken.

The fault for mine was misleading, it wasn't a circuit/wiring fault, so don't take the fault code descriptions as gospel.

It happened on mine because the steering knuckle had been off and the steering wheel had turned more than should have been possible.

If you do this then the steering angle sensor sets a permanent fault, and supposedly the only way to fix is to get a new sensor.

In this case if you use FreeSSM, the SAS will still give sensible readings.

Good and bad sensors will always show 2048 when you first start up without having moved the wheel, then once you start moving the steering wheel it should start giving proper readings.

There is a small eeprom (memory) chip on the underside of the SAS circuit board where the fault is stored.

It took me a while testing but I figured out how to clear the fault on these with a USB eeprom programmer TL866-II with an 8 pin clip.

Example of the data that was in mine:

https://github.com/james-portman/subaru-steering-angle-sensor/blob/master/text

Changing the a5a55a5a data to ffffffff fixed it, working fine, no faults on the DCCD module.

There is more info in the github repo if anyone is interested.

If you have a sensor that does not report sensible values in FreeSSM then it might actually be broken!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, jamesportman said:

I've just solved the P1767 fault on mine (steering angle sensor circuit), it's quite complicated, I could check and fix sensors for people if posted to me

Long version:

These sensors don't actually seem easy to break, I think it's just the fact that they set permanent faults and pretend to be broken.

The fault for mine was misleading, it wasn't a circuit/wiring fault, so don't take the fault code descriptions as gospel.

It happened on mine because the steering knuckle had been off and the steering wheel had turned more than should have been possible.

If you do this then the steering angle sensor sets a permanent fault, and supposedly the only way to fix is to get a new sensor.

In this case if you use FreeSSM, the SAS will still give sensible readings.

Good and bad sensors will always show 2048 when you first start up without having moved the wheel, then once you start moving the steering wheel it should start giving proper readings.

There is a small eeprom (memory) chip on the underside of the SAS circuit board where the fault is stored.

It took me a while testing but I figured out how to clear the fault on these with a USB eeprom programmer TL866-II with an 8 pin clip.

Example of the data that was in mine:

https://github.com/james-portman/subaru-steering-angle-sensor/blob/master/text

Changing the a5a55a5a data to ffffffff fixed it, working fine, no faults on the DCCD module.

There is more info in the github repo if anyone is interested.

If you have a sensor that does not report sensible values in FreeSSM then it might actually be broken!

It won't let me edit the post but just to say, go to the top level of that repo for updated explanation;

https://github.com/james-portman/subaru-steering-angle-sensor/

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, jamesportman said:

It won't let me edit the post but just to say, go to the top level of that repo for updated explanation;

https://github.com/james-portman/subaru-steering-angle-sensor/

Mr. Portman, I just joined the forum to thank you, I followed your instructions, acquired the EEPROM programmer and a SOIC adapter "alligator" clamp, and was able to reprogram the sensor. I know this thread is old but I'm hoping you will read this. THANKS!!

I am attaching a picture of my original BIN file with the errors, plus the sensor.

20240317_194919.jpg

20240317_172324.jpg